The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nockamixon's efforts may be moot, however, because Gov. Tom Corbett signed Act 13 in February, which amended the state's oil and gas regulations.

Act 13 dissolves the zoning rights of municipalities in regard to oil and gas "operations," a broad term that includes everything from well pads and drilling operations to pipelines and compressor stations. The law states municipalities must allow operations in all zoning districts. And they cannot place more stringent restrictions on setbacks, wells, and other zoning issues than those provided in Act 13 unless they apply those restrictions to all industrial activity.

In what could be a test case for the new law, Nockamixon plans to fight it in court. The township supervisors gave solicitor Jordan Yeager approval last month to rally other municipalities and build a lawsuit against Act 13. Yeager declined to identify specific municipalities he's talked to, but said some are in western Pennsylvania. No suits have been filed yet.
Nockamixon gas drilling proposal tests new state law

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
This wasn't a case of if....it was a case of when

I knew this would be challanged.

<span style="font-style: italic">Act 13 dissolves the zoning rights of municipalities in regard to oil and gas "operations," <span style="font-weight: bold">a broad term</span> that includes everything from well pads and drilling operations to pipelines and compressor stations</span>

It realy does need better clarification, and justification.

·
Registered
24,822 Posts
Am I not understanding? As I read the Act municipalities cannot discriminate zoning laws solely against gas drilling operations and allow other industrial activity... If zoning laws are passed they have to apply to all industry not just the gas industry.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
There is some grey area there. I hope to have more answers after the County Comissioners meeting Monday night.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Nockamixon area has gas drilling? Or is this pipeline issues? Waugh!

·
Registered
22,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This wasn't a case of if....it was a case of when

I knew this would be challanged.
They picked the right area....No shortage of funds down in Bucks County to support a challenge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts