The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m in the process of pricing planters. Leaning towards a Great Plains. I’m excited to transition over to no till. No real questions was wondering how many people are going no till

·
Registered
303 Posts
What size? If you havent tried one yet, some county conservation districts will rent you one. I know Lycoming county has a crust buster. Hoover tractor has an RTP Genesis 5 that they rent out. We just planted for the first time with a Genesis 3 this spring. Went pretty well, but still need to see how things grew. The calibration process is pretty slick compared to some of the other models I read about.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What did you plant w the genesis 3? I’d be interested in hearing how things grew. I’ve been looking at no tills also those genesis seem easy w the calibration I wondered how well they worked.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
One Horn has a nice drill...of which I am very jealous! Maybe someday I will have one....but for now we will till and broadcast. There is something about turning dirt though....not sure what it is.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Fayette Co has two 7 foot Great Plains and a 3 foot Esch drill. I used the 3 foot one last week and it worked great. It is made by amish in Lancaster Co and is very nice (and very expensive $16K) but it is ideal for plots. Trouble with most small ones is they are to light. This Esch weighs 3500lbs and is battery operated up and down. The Great plains 7 footers are good but you need a 75 hp tractor or bigger and you need rear hydraulics. I used a 26 hp 3 cylinder diesel 4x4 tractor and it was a load going up and down hill. Esch says you can use a big UTV with it but I would not on anything other than flat ground.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where do you rent the one from in Fayette county? We’re in Allegheny is that a prob renting from them if we don’t live in that county? We have a 30 hp Kubota and can’t pull any of those bigger ones that 3 ft wld be nice. Is it a 3 pt hitch model or tow behind.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Where do you rent the one from in Fayette county? We’re in Allegheny is that a prob renting from them if we don’t live in that county? We have a 30 hp Kubota and can’t pull any of those bigger ones that 3 ft wld be nice. Is it a 3 pt hitch model or tow behind.
Sounds like a tow behind if the manufacturer says you can use a UTV to plant with it. The weight is nice for doing the no-till planting....as long as the pulling machine can handle it. I would be willing to give it a try with our 35hp tractor.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What did you plant w the genesis 3? I’d be interested in hearing how things grew. I’ve been looking at no tills also those genesis seem easy w the calibration I wondered how well they worked.
Planted this. It's a mix of the following. Seemed to do decent, depending on the quality of the ground and how well we burned down the existing vegetation. We fenced in a small area, and it looks pretty good. The drill worked great in all areas we tried to plant. Two pics below of areas with better soil.

https://www.kingsagriseeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Rays-Crazy-Summer-Mix.pdf

61% Cowpea
11% Sorghum Sudan AS6501
7% Daikon Radish
7% Hybrid Pearl Millet
5% Sorghum Sudan AS6401
4% Peredovik Sunflower
3% T-Raptor Hybrid Brassica

Inside the fence:

Unfenced:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Fayette Co Conservation District but it is Fayette Co ONLY. Tow behind.

·
Registered
410 Posts
As the guy said that jumped out of a 20 story building nontypical, so far so good. I have the genesis 5 ft. and i'm early in my no-till career, but so far have no complaints. I've drilled buckwheat and rye with great results and I'm trying the small seeds this fall. Drilled some plot screen last weekend and going to use it for most of my brassica in 3 weeks. The only thing i'm worried about is the shallowest setting on the coulters is 1/2 in., which is a little deep for the small seeds. I'll look and see if I can do anything to get them ti 1/4 in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As the guy said that jumped out of a 20 story building nontypical, so far so good. I have the genesis 5 ft. and i'm early in my no-till career, but so far have no complaints. I've drilled buckwheat and rye with great results and I'm trying the small seeds this fall. Drilled some plot screen last weekend and going to use it for most of my brassica in 3 weeks. The only thing i'm worried about is the shallowest setting on the coulters is 1/2 in., which is a little deep for the small seeds. I'll look and see if I can do anything to get them ti 1/4 in.
so I was worried about the same thing. I was told to have a faster travel speed. It will open your row up wider and allow for some of the smaller seed to land higher that the actual setting of the drill, but will still allow for your grains and such to be planted at the right depth. Haven’t tried it yet. It’s just what I was told.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
I just spent the last week planting about 50 acres of row crops, an acre of pollinator plot and then today about four acres of warm season grass, clover, oats and wildflower with a Truax eight foot no till drill. We have been using it to do the Pheasants Forever planting for years. It does a great job.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
387 Posts
A friend bought the 3ft Esch. Planted corn and beans with it this spring. They seem happy with it. If you have any question about it let me know and i can ask him.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well after a lot of research and talking with some neighbors and family I’m biting the bullet and getting a 10 foot Great Plains no till. Def going to have a learning curve but def think it will be worth it in the long run

1 - 20 of 39 Posts