The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The proposed September start date for the 2013 Squirrel season has not been accepted. The adopted seasons as sent out in the latest press release are:

<span style="font-style: italic">SQUIRRELS, Red, Gray, Black and Fox (Combined): Special season for eligible junior hunters, with or without required license, and mentored youth – Oct. 12-18 (6 daily).

SQUIRRELS, Red, Gray, Black and Fox (Combined): Oct. 19-Nov. 30; Dec. 16-24 and Dec. 26-Feb. 22 (6 daily).</span>

Does anyone know why the propsed September start date was NOT adopted?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nice start date....fewer warbles and much nicer in the woods....tho Oct. 1 might be better, on general principles.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
wouldn't matter to me either way. it ain't squirrel season til theres a chill in the air and some color to the leaves.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Probably cause of too many bawl babies who think they own the woods didn't want it. That is about the only good thing that I saw for a long time from the Game Commission. Guess I should have known they wouldn't go through with it. Anything they decide to do anymore just turns more hunters away. They couldn't do something to make a person glad they bought their liscense.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Disappointed about it, but am hopeful they will consider it again next year.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Do any of you think that maybe kids, or anyone else, shooting lactating squirrels might not be the best thing for the future of the resource or for hunting.

It sure seems to me there are just a lot of hunters today that don’t give a darn about the resource as long as they can go ahead and hunt when it best suits them.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
NY, Ohio and I'm certain other states surrounding PA have squirrel starts as early as Sept 1. No shortage of squirrels where I hunt those states.
I guess it's just PA squirrels that are susceptible to earlier season hunting. Underutilized species, produce several litters a year, populations at all-time highs. Yep, sounds like a vulnerability to me.
Many would argue that shooting sows with 40 pound cubs isn't the BEST for the resource either, but PA permits that.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
R. S. B. said:
Do any of you think that maybe kids, or anyone else, shooting lactating squirrels might not be the best thing for the future of the resource or for hunting.

It sure seems to me there are just a lot of hunters today that don’t give a darn about the resource as long as they can go ahead and hunt when it best suits them.

Dick Bodenhorn
The late season has the same lactating issue from about January 14th forward.

If I have it figured correct, a grey squirrel bred on June 30th (last day of the May/June breeding period) will give birth (44 days) about Aug 13th. 7 weeks lactating pushes that out to Oct 1st. The squirrels are weaned 3 weeks before they leave the nest. So, that places the completely safe for the resource zone at about the 3rd week of October.

We have other states who have earlier than mid October starts. West Virginia, about Sept 10th. Virginia, Sept 1st. What resource impact is taking place in those working examples?

In colonial Virgina, so many squirrel hides were required of a landowner as part of their tax assessment. Squirrels were seen as a pest... a rodent, that required control.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that the early season was turned down due to whining and crying of "hunters" thinking a few guys in the woods were going to affect thier precious deer.

I bet if squirrels were hunted with beagles we would have got the season. Whatever the dog lobby wants Delaney is sure to make it happen.

Squirrels are hunted in September in just about every other state near us. Lactating or not I bet it has no effect on the population. And my biology degree holds just as much credit as the one that obviously comes when one completes WCO cadet school.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
R. S. B. said:

Dick Bodenhorn
RSB, When do deer stop producing milk?

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
It looks like other states are somewhat spliting the May/June breeding period.. assumming more are bred in the middle than on the last day as Pa seems to do.

Splitting May/June places a start date at about what was proposed.. Sept 14th. Splitting Sept 14th and the October start..places a start at about Oct 1st. Which would add more insurance regarding the resourse.

It has been stated that safety was the reason for voting the proposal down. If it is true, we know who...(wink).

Given we shoot pregnant whitetails and think nothing of it, the sensitivity given to the squirrel seems.......

·
Registered
649 Posts
There's no money in it, now if everyone would buy a early season squirrel permit... it'd be A ok. Coming soon SMAP permits. The powers that be are going to do what they want. We as hunters/investers have no say in it at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone know which commissioner proposed the early season? And which one(s) shot it down?

Squirrels are really the only "gateway" species we have for new hunters to get involved in the sport and be relatively successful immediately.

I can't think of anything more enjoyable than a parent spending a warm Sepember day with a youngster strolling down a woods road carrying shotguns or perched at the top of a hollow with rimfire rifles.

·
Registered
545 Posts
kudu58 said:
NY, Ohio and I'm certain other states surrounding PA have squirrel starts as early as Sept 1. No shortage of squirrels where I hunt those states.
Ohio should drop back to Oct. 1.....much nicer all around.
Saw that and said that for 50+ years.

I expect though that bowhunters do like to limit woods activity...I know they dislike bird dogs being bird dogs.
Seen those looks as I drive by them and their camps as well, in several states.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
We are about the only state that doesn't start in September. A lot of southern states also have a spring season but they are loaded with squirrels down there. New York probably doesn't start that early but about all other states do.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
huntsmenbob said:
We are about the only state that doesn't start in September. A lot of southern states also have a spring season but they are loaded with squirrels down there. New York probably doesn't start that early but about all other states do.
NY was Sept 1st thru February 28th for 2012/13.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
dap said:
R. S. B. said:

Dick Bodenhorn
RSB, When do deer stop producing milk?
Exactly, I've seen fawns nursing off does in November. Guess we better put the brakes on all doe hunting until rifle season due to it maybe not being best for the resource...

1 - 20 of 175 Posts