The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having an issue with this is it time to switch back to fixed blade broadheads? Or do I need a smaller cutting diameter? Using reaper 2.5 inch out of killer instinct 360fps

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Anyone else having an issue with this is it time to switch back to fixed blade broadheads? Or do I need a smaller cutting diameter? Using reaper 2.5 inch out of killer instinct 360fps
No one would know the answer. You did not say where you hit the deer, there are places on a deer where you will not get a pass through no matter what broad head you use. A bad shot is a bad shot and not the fault of the broad head.

Reactions: Dogface and bohunr

·
Registered
166 Posts
I’m using 150 free 3” swackers out of a 380 FPS bow. As long as The deer is perfectly broadside I always get a complete pass through. Now if the deer is quartering and the entry of the bolt is near the shoulder or the exit of the bolt is near the shoulder ( hope that makes sense) I will only get a pass through 50 pct of the time. With that being said I def prefer a pass through but I’m not willing to give up that 3” cut I’m getting to go with a fixed head that might pass through 100 pct of the time. If I don’t get a pass through I make sure to wait plenty of time before going after the deer if I didn’t see it fall. It’s said often on here but can always be said again do not push them and they will be there waiting for you!

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
I suspect if you are seeing a fair number of shots not passing through deer, you are not hitting them in the right spot. I have never not had a pass through on a broadside shot through the ribs with both fixed and expandable broadheads. I quartering away may hit the opposite shoulder and not pass through.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My dad and I both use Nap spitfire 100 grains with 1 1/2" cutting diameter. We both have parker crossbows, not sure on what the speeds on them, but I've never not had a pass thru. My dad on the other hand has had some issues with not getting pass thru. Most of the time it's because he doesn't wait for a perfect broadside shot. The one I remember the bolt stayed in the deer entered the rib cage and was logged in back leg. He swears it wasn't that steep of an angle when he shot, but from some of the other deer he's shot and the entrance/exit hole I've determined he's not the best at judging a deer's angle. He's rifle hunted since he was a boy but only picked up archery since crossbows become legal. I keep telling him about shot placement and angles, but its hard to teach old dogs new tricks.....But I'd say lack of pass thru is more dependent on shot placement especially with a crossbow.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm at 100% pass thru with Rage Hypodermics I was using some variation of an expandable from G5 before that and wasn't satisfied with the performance. Since going to the Rage I'm very happy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a perfect broad side shot in rib cage half way up behind front shoulder it wasn't a bad shot I was just wondering if anyone else is not having pass through with crossbows

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Sounds like either blades aren’t properly sharp or the bolt is too light. At 360 FPS an arrow should blow right through a broadside deer. I got a clean pass through on my opening day doe this year. Shot her using a #43 lb longbow, arrow speed 155fps.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Or it was not as perfect a shot as the OP thinks it was.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
I've always used fixed blades and can't ever remember not getting a pass through.My son started using a compound at 11 with a light draw weight and short draw length.Every deer he shoots is a complete pass through and they rarely run out of sight.We killed 4 deer so far this year with small fixed heads and the furthest one has gone 40 yards,which is the norm.You don't have to throw an ax through a deer to kill them quickly.When he used a crossbow,he blew completely through every deer at different angles.I got sick of not being able to find the bolts and finally made him start using lighted nocks.A crossbow should be blowing through every broadside deer,regardless of the head.With that said,if you can get your BH's to shoot good out of a crossbow,there is zero advantage to using a big mechanical.Here's an exit wound from a a 1" two bladed viper trick that my son shot this year.The deer didn't make it 40 yards.He shot a second deer with that same arrow and head two days later after I touched up the blades.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
If the unfortunate happens and your shot is back further than it should be I’m not sure how you don’t have an advantage using a 2 or 3” head vs a 1”....

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
Because it means nothing.For years I was on a committee for a controlled hunt where I got called out multiple times per week to recover wounded deer plus I get to kill a lot of deer every year myself..I've seen hundreds of deer shot with every type of BH and hit just about every place.A good shot puts them down within seconds.I've killed over 80 with small slick tricks and only ever had one run out of sight and that was a gut shot recovered a short distance away the next morning..I've also killed my fair share with big mechanicals and on average they ran further because big heads that open,scare the bejesus out of the deer.Of the hundreds of deer I've recovered,most were shot with big mechanicals because that's what most people use.Close to half of all gut shot deer that we recovered will still alive to some degree the morning,including those shot with big mechanicals.It's the indian not the arrow and what you do after the shot is far more important than what's on the end of your arrow.You want an BH that's razor sharp,penetrates completely and stays together.You also need a tuned bow because erratic flight also impedes penetration and impacts accuracy.You can't increase the size of the kill zone with a mechanical.That's flat out irresponsible marketing.Use what you want but you get zero advantage with a mechanical in terms of terminal performance.Penetration,blade sharpness and the ability to not fall apart will trump cutting diameter every single time.I see zero reason to use a mechanical out of a compound but since you can't tune a crossbow like you can tune a compound,they have their use but I'd be sighting in with a fixed head and just using that to practice with.That's what I did with my son and he never lost a deer.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I’m using 150 free 3” swackers out of a 380 FPS bow. As long as The deer is perfectly broadside I always get a complete pass through. Now if the deer is quartering and the entry of the bolt is near the shoulder or the exit of the bolt is near the shoulder ( hope that makes sense) I will only get a pass through 50 pct of the time. With that being said I def prefer a pass through but I’m not willing to give up that 3” cut I’m getting to go with a fixed head that might pass through 100 pct of the time. If I don’t get a pass through I make sure to wait plenty of time before going after the deer if I didn’t see it fall. It’s said often on here but can always be said again do not push them and they will be there waiting for you!
I use the same heads out of an Excal. at 400FPS. Blew right threw rear edge of shoulder going in and out the ribs on the other side. 25 yard shot.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I get it that it’s the Indian not the arrow, and I also agree that bigger is not a cure all by any means. But if i miss the lungs/ diaphragm by a inch with a 3 “ head I still have a inch of cut in the lungs/ diaphragm. If I miss it by a inch with a 1”cut head I have nothing but guts....

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
I get it that it’s the Indian not the arrow, and I also agree that bigger is not a cure all by any means. But if i miss the lungs/ diaphragm by a inch with a 3 “ head I still have a inch of cut in the lungs/ diaphragm. If I miss it by a inch with a 1”cut head I have nothing but guts....
Yep. While DCE will never admit it, both large mechanicals and smaller fixed heads can both have advantages under certain circumstances. An inch could be the difference between a flesh wound and a kill shot. A difference between a gut shot and a liver shot. Or a liver shot and a lung shot. It is up to each hunter to decide which they prefer.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
I will never admit Gene because blade sharpness and penetration will always trump cutting diameter.I'm not talking about a half dozen deer.I'm talking about 100's.When you walk up on a couple dozen deer gut shot with huge mechanicals and they're still alive the next morning,it's pretty easy to determine that bigger isn't better.Far more deer are lost every year due to a lack of penetration than are found because a big mechanical just happens to nick a lung.Where specifically would you hit a deer that a mechanical would turn a flesh wound into a dead deer.

·
Registered
18,781 Posts
I will never admit Gene because blade sharpness and penetration will always trump cutting diameter.
I agree but that has nothing to do with the point I and another raised.

What I said was that under CERTAIN circumstances both a large cut mechanical and a small cut fixed blade have advantages over the other. It is a simple concept that some refuse to admit because their ego wont let them or they are so dug in on a certain issue, they refuse to acknowledge basic math.

Where specifically would you hit a deer that a mechanical would turn a flesh wound into a dead deer.
Really? Mechanical has nothing to do with it. The discussion is the size of the cut. I could put a dozen dots on a deer where a 3 inch hole would result in a dead deer and a 1 inch hole would result in a flesh wound or poor hit.

A large cut it not the secret panacea, nor does it generally result in quicker kills or more blood. But, it may be the difference between a dead deer and a long track job or lost deer under CERTAIN circumstances.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I have been using muzzy 100 grain four blade fixed head for years, always a pass thru. I use to avoid the shoulder blade, but after having several exits, that went thru the shoulder blade on the way out, I will shoot thru the shoulder blade if it means the arrow will then go thru the heart or lungs. I do not believe all broadheads and crossbow combinations will do this though. I had one pass thru that broke the big knuckle, at the bottom of the front shoulder, on the way out. Mostly about shot placement, but using a combination that passes thru and cuts, not pushes it way thru, will make for easier recovery of deer. If a person can not hit a deer in the vitals for sure. they should not shoot.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts