The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been hearing from a few sources that there’ll be no non resident hunting this fall on the Rock. The travel ban to Canada is still in effect ( there were no US hunters for spring bear, and the Atlantic salmon season is a bust), but health officials in NL have gone on record saying they will prohibit all non residents ( including Canadians from other providences ) from obtaining a non resident hunting license, irregardless of whether the border with Canada opens up.

Today, I emailed a friend who guided me for 10 seasons for moose and caribou. He confirmed the ban, and said many outfitters are scrambling as to what to do. He said government officials seem unconcerned about the $50 million US dollars that will be lost to many rural folks who rely on the money outfitting generates.

Sounds familiar to the attitudes many officials here in the States have.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I am scheduled to be in Ontario on our fall bear hunt the last week of August. It was rescheduled from the spring. It looks like the US/Canadian border closure will be extended another month, by non official reports. I am holding out hope that we can get up there but lots of uncertainty for sure.

The really bad part is a buddy of mine and myself helped the outfitter pay for the bait since the outfitters have been finacially crushed by this closure. They have been good to us so we figured we would pay it forward. I hope to be able to hunt over the bait I helped to buy.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Now that's sad! I talked to the outfitter I went with last year at show in January and he was pumped because he was buying out another outfitters section. This will really hurt, his boy quit his job to work with him!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm schedule to go up for the first week and just mailed a check for my licenses last week. I spoke to the outfitter (MVO) and he seemed very optimistic about the hunt happening. Going to be really disappointed if it falls through.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
After being up there a couple times, the two big things I see from this is the economy and the moose numbers. Hunter dollars up there are a major part of the yearly income for a lot of those folks. Moose numbers will soar and I wonder what the Fish and Game people are thinking and if they may have a say in the whole thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m hearing rumors that the tags normally sold by outfitters might be sold to locals. They aren’t nearly as successful at killing moose as the outfitters. They limit themselves to hunting roads and clear cuts for the most part. No Argos to get moose out of the back country.

Still a lot of time before hunting season....things might change. The problem is the Health Minister in NL is about as wacky as the Levine dude here in Pa. He’s adamant that non resident hunters should be barred from NL until a vaccine is readily available. What happens in Newfoundland/ Labrador isn’t necessarily going to be what happens in Ontario and Quebec.

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Canadian travel ban, set to expire on June 21st, has just been extended to July 21st. Got another email from my Newfy buddy. The NL Outfitters Association can’t get an answer from John Haggie ( Health Minister) as to what the government will do to compensate outfitters if the non resident ban stays in effect. Canada is handing out $2000 a month to residents who are unemployed at this time, but that’ll be little help to outfitters.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
All of my U.S. and Canadian hunts have been postponed or cancelled this year. The entire U.S. and its borders need to be opened up 100%.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I guess everything happens for a reason. We had a hunt booked for this fall for moose and long story short we only had 4 spots reserved and thought we had 6. So we ended up taking a hunt the first week of October in 2021. In theory there should be more nice bulls then usual!

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
I'm headed to Saskatchewan in november, hopefully things will be resolved by then. Already missed going bear hunting, supposed to be there this week. I have heard rumors that they MAY open the border on some of the western provences.

As far as the "health of the citizens", anyone who hasn't figured out that this ain't the crisis that was sold to us, must be confused by basic math. And as far as the "health of the citizens", their financial health ought to be part of that equation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Headed to NewFoundland in September for a Moose hunt and haven't heard anything about cancelling. Anybody have more info? Just wondering if no news is good news?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts