The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I just wonder how effective the home made masks are that I see many people wearing...I wear a "mask" when I must...not because I think it helps...the masks I wear were 3ply...when I bought them...now they are 1ply. :whistle:
I agree. The CDC has ruled that masks with a valve risk spreading the virus. I don't believe they ever studied them to arrive at that conclusion. If they had, they would quickly see that it doesn't matter whether the valve in theory opens on the inhale, or exhale. All the air either being taken in or out is going through about 5 layers of fabric, not counting the filter material itself. Yet, stores offer a free 1 ply disposable mask that doesn't come close to the filtration of one of those with a valve. Those disposable masks satisfies the Covid19 requirement. ???? The valve for the most part is just a sales gimmick. It doesn't matter if it is present on the mask or not. I have to laugh too about people thinking that type of mask is a risk. Do they think all the air expelled stays contained in theirs? LOL!!!

The valved mask ruling has me questioning anything coming out of the CDC. What else have they not investigated, but ruled on anyway?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
A valve is closed when you inhale as air passes through a filter. It opens when you exhale. All your breath passes out through nothing. I don't think masks with valves cannot stop anything from being spread by the wearer.

Many months in and yet no guidance on the issues of mask versus cloth bandannas, etc. No mention that disposable masks are meant for one time usage. NOT an 8 hour shift. No one says, hey wash your cloth masks daily. Only your hands. It's like no one in the scientific or medical community wants to go on record distorting the truths for perhaps legal reasons because it goes against the facts.

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
I agree. The CDC has ruled that masks with a valve risk spreading the virus. I don't believe they ever studied them to arrive at that conclusion. If they had, they would quickly see that it doesn't matter whether the valve in theory opens on the inhale, or exhale. All the air either being taken in or out is going through about 5 layers of fabric, not counting the filter material itself. Yet, stores offer a free 1 ply disposable mask that doesn't come close to the filtration of one of those with a valve. Those disposable masks satisfies the Covid19 requirement. ???? The valve for the most part is just a sales gimmick. It doesn't matter if it is present on the mask or not. I have to laugh too about people thinking that type of mask is a risk. Do they think all the air expelled stays contained in theirs? LOL!!!

The valved mask ruling has me questioning anything coming out of the CDC. What else have they not investigated, but ruled on anyway?
this:

if they would stop changing their story and stick with the facts instead of spreading fear and guesses, maybe people would start to believe some things instead of laughing at these "People in the Know".

·
Registered
22,039 Posts
Since Covid is a respiratory droplet-borne virus any type facial covering will muffle at least some of the droplets. Albeit, some materials better than others.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
A valve is closed when you inhale as air passes through a filter. It opens when you exhale. All your breath passes out through nothing. I don't think masks with valves cannot stop anything from being spread by the wearer.

Many months in and yet no guidance on the issues of mask versus cloth bandannas, etc. No mention that disposable masks are meant for one time usage. NOT an 8 hour shift. No one says, hey wash your cloth masks daily. Only your hands. It's like no one in the scientific or medical community wants to go on record distorting the truths for perhaps legal reasons because it goes against the facts.
You've done the same thing as the CDC.... lumping into same category without any investigation of all masks being marketed with a valved attached. It's a rotten shame! I blame the CDC for the misinformation that everyone has been subjected to. I have two different cloth masks (allergies) from two different suppliers. The inhale, and exhale air has no direct access to either the wearer, or a bystander in the case of this COVID stuff, without having to travel through the layers of cloth and filter first.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts
Anyone who thinks that a cloth mask placed over the mouth and nose is going to protect the wearer or those around him from transmission doesn't understand how small viruses really are. Look at the type of protective clothing and masks that people working in real labs where viral contamination is possible. You wont begin to protect yourself without SCBA level PPE. Best you can hope for from a mask is that people wont notice your halitosis...as much.

·
Registered
16,959 Posts

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Anyone who thinks that a cloth mask placed over the mouth and nose is going to protect the wearer or those around him from transmission doesn't understand how small viruses really are. Look at the type of protective clothing and masks that people working in real labs where viral contamination is possible. You wont begin to protect yourself without SCBA level PPE. Best you can hope for from a mask is that people wont notice your halitosis...as much.
The two masks I have been talking about, work for my allergies. That keeps me from sneezing and coughing. I would rather not wear such a mask. In these times it keeps me from coughing and sneezing. You should be thankful for it.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Since Covid is a respiratory droplet-borne virus any type facial covering will muffle at least some of the droplets. Albeit, some materials better than others.
Really??? Think about it for a minute...the virus is small enough to go through the layer(s) of fabric...it also lives on surfaces for many hours...so as you breath through the mask...it is logical to assume the virus will work it's way through...also think about this...a unmasked sneeze will contaminate a smaller area...than a masked sneeze because the person continues to wear the contaminated mask as they continue along...just saying.:)

·
Administrator
28,157 Posts
Do the finger size folds in the masks worn by the young ladies at the beginning and end of the article only let in the milder form of the disease?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
For those looking for studies on mask wearing;

I'm sure there are those who can convince others that it may still snow today even though it's 92 degrees out.
SOOO...if I read the study correctly...it said that depending on the mask's construction... the mask MAY prevent some (not all) of the virus from getting through...so you maybe get less of the virus...yea...I better get my potted tomato plants inside before the snow storm.:D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Serious questions: What actions has Trump taken or failed to take that endanger your grandchildren?
What actions will the Democrats take or not take that will protect, preserve or enhance your grandchildrens' future?
The Democrats did nothing. When Trump was banning travel from China, they said he was xenophobic and racist. This one thing alone likely saved thousands and thousands of lives. They have had months to say what should have been done different and they simply say we should of done more testing (with test that weren't available) and tracing. Having the benefit of hindsight, they still have nothing conclusive to say that could have prevented this, other than everyone should hide in their basement until it goes away. And they are the ones responsible for inflating the numbers to include dies with covid-19 (not from covid-19). It's a real virus, being politicized into another witch hunt. If people are too dumb to see that, then there's no help for this country.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts