The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having the worse luck with my 870 20 ga. Will be looking for a new gun for next season any suggestions? Trying to stay away from the mossbergs but looking for a reasonable price..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It shoots low and left I've tried both factory sights and red dot still shoots to left and low tried cleaning it nothing is working I'm waiting on ghost ring sights to come in hope they work

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Try adjusting those sights??? If the gun is shooting consistently low and left I don't understand how you can't correct it with the red dot.
Move the dot in the picture window down and to the left....to bring the point of impact up and to the right.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it's consistently low and to the left (assuming we're not talking about feet here but inches) this shout be entirely correctable with adjustable sights and/or red dot. If you are shooting with your dominant eye (you should be) then try some different ammo (I know that's expensive these days). If all else fails send the gun back to Remington. I've done that with a few guns and after a seemingly forever wait they usually come back back better if not fixed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My mossy shot high and right.threw away the junk mossberg sights and got a set of Williams sights.it shoots great now.dead on

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mine sights wouldn't adjust enough to center the pattern.they might work on some guns but wouldn't on mine.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Is the trigger pull that bad that you are pulling the gun down when you shoot? I know from shooting archery comp. that if you don't follow thru or drop your bow arm you will hit low and left every time!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Asajoe1 said:
Is the trigger pull that bad that you are pulling the gun down when you shoot? I know from shooting archery comp. that if you don't follow thru or drop your bow arm you will hit low and left every time!
There are a zillion things that can go wrong. The OP seems to infer that it's a consistent error. Thats actually good news and means he's got a lot of things under his control taken care of. I don't know what kind of front sight he's using but perhaps his barrel isn't registered properly and his bead is off kilter. A smaller bead might bring the shot up too. Worth a try.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
A "7 O'clock" grouping could be an indication of a right-handed shooter "trigger" pulling(not squeezing)and possibly slightly lifting of the head off the cheek plate in anticipation of the recoil. Very common issue with open sight shooters that range instructors quickly identify. An easy & cheap way to check is either have another shooter try the gun or just switch to opposite side (left-handed if right-handed or vice versa)for a couple shots to see if the pattern location changes.No change in the pattern would isolate the gun as the problem. Best of luck with finding a solution.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
The 870 is a great gun! I bought my wife an 11-87 youth model a few years ago. It patterns beautifully at 30 yards with an Undertaker choke tube. Maybe consider an 11-87? Maybe check the Benelli Nova too? I have a 12 guage Nova that I use for waterfowl. It preforms flawlessly! Won't break the bank either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you don't like, it you don't like it. I have a benelli nova 20 and love it. I also have the super nova 12. Both are reliable and tight, no slop when you are pumping in the next round. I removed the front beaded sites and put on the HI VIZ fibers and love them. Someone here offered to buy it, take him up sell it and go pick up a Benelli.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
First...how tight is the barrel/magazine cap nut? If it's loose, you can/will see all kinds of weird things happen with point of aim (poa), point of impact (poi) changes. Second...have you tried any other chokes or loads in the gun? The choke that's in it very well could be the culprit. As far as trigger pull, the triggers on stock 870s is horrible to say the least. You could always get a Patriot sear spring modification and it should clean up a bad trigger quickly and cheaply and can be done yourself if you know your way around the gun. If you don't, and no offense but by the sounds of your posts, you do not, you could have a smith do it for fairly cheap as well. It took me about 5 minutes from start to finish to change the sear spring out in mine and it made a world of difference in the overall quality of the trigger pull. As far as just getting rid of it and buying this gun or that? WHY?! You shouldn't have to and the folks that are telling you to do this are obviously biased as to a particular brand in case you haven't already noticed.

First thing you NEED to do is perform a DEEP CLEAN on the gun's barrel. Use Hoppes or a similar solvent and a phospo brush and really take the time to get the barrel really clean. soak a patch or bore swab in the hoppes and run ti up and down the barrel a couple of times and then walk away...just let it set for at least 20-30 minutes. Then run another soaked patch/swab through it and then the phospho brush AT LEAST 30-50 times. Once that is done run clean patches through the barrel until they come out perfectly clean. You won't believe the gunk you will get out of the barrel if you clean it correctly! After the barrel is clean, make sure the barrel nut is tight...by tight I mean <span style="text-decoration: underline">TIGHT</span>...as hand tight as you can get it. I do this by taking the EMPTY gun, sitting the buttstock on a solid, flat, non-skid surface and then I put my weight on the barrel while I turn the barrel nut with my hand until it won't turn any more. I then take a piece of leather or thick nylon and with that covering the barrel nut, I take a pair of channel locks and give the nut one more nudge until it clicks one more time. The barrel is now properly tightened and will be much more consistant shot to shot. Lastly is your choices of chokes and loads. if tightening the barrel nut to a consistant tightness doesn't fix your poa/poi issues then you will simply have to try a few different loads and chokes until you find one that shoots well. Either that or mount a sight or sights of some type. I saw you were going to buy yet another type of sight setup for the gun. Why? if the first 2 didn't fix the problem, what makes you think a third setup will? Try what I recommended and if that still doesn't work then you obviously have a defect in the gun somewhere. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
A zillion things...lol

get a smaller front bead ans see how that treats you.

as far as cleaning the gun yea i guess that could help....there's always a lot of factory smegma in a new gun

I would send the thing back and have them register the barrel properly which they never do when they put it out for sale...it'x a crap shoot. I've had to send a few in for this very problem which means US manufacture ain't what it used to be (you won't be better off with china either)

·
Registered
53 Posts
When you send a gun back you typically get a gunsmith to look at at it. These guys are good. They will take the whole thing apart and put it back together. It's really unfortunate we have to go there but this is probably the best you can do. I would do this right now and you should get it back by next turkey season

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Single Six, I think you are trying to compare apples to oranges here as far as shotguns and their use. What I mean is that the things I put down for the OP to try are done specifically for TURKEY GUNS. They will virtually ALWAYS pattern better when thoroughly cleaned and a tight barrel will virtually ALWAYS shoot more consistantly than a loose one. It sounds like you do a lot of skeet/trap and a shorter bead or having the barrel registered won't do a thing seeing as how the OP already stated he tried not one, but two different optical sights. Manufacturers generally have a guaranrtee as to where their guns will pattern in relation to point of aim. If I remember correctly, my $1700.00 Benelli SBE II can be as much as 8" off up or down for elevation and something like 2"-4" for windage. Pretty sure most guys aren't going to pay to have a factory barrel straightened especially for an 870 20 guage and when it's likely user error to begin with...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts