The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The private land I hunt, and have hunted for 7 or 8 years borders an old railroad bed. Recently the township took ownership and put up "no hunting" signs all over it. I don't hunt on the township property, but I use the railroad bed to get to my stand. Do you think this would be considered hunting in the eyes of law enforcement?

My follow up question:

Am I in the wrong just as much for walking in via this property as the guy I have seen cutting out a spot to set up a ground blind on the township property? One day he started to walk down towards me on my property, and I kindly whistled and waved and he left. Today I saw (while walking to my stand) where he cut a spot out of the brush so he can hunt on the railroad bed, and hung some orange tape to mark it.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
just stop at the township office and ask them if its ok to use the bed for an entrance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does the land owner have an easement over it? Most rail and other "rights of ways" have been bought by townships, "Rails to Trails", etc... but often they are not ownership of land, just rights of ways, and the landowner can not be excluded from hunting on it... A lot of old railroads here in the east are rights of ways (many are not)..

In fact in one block of land we hunt, we have keys to the rails to trails gates, cause my buddy owns the land.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts