The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can direct me to the law that states trash services are required to take carcasses. For some reason this year my township has refused on two occasions to take them. I called my township and they said they were not obligated to take them. I was hoping the game commision would be able to help so I called them but no such luck.

Dan

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
DON’T DUMP CARCASS!
Throughout Pennsylvania there is a growing problem with people dumping deer carcasses and other animal remains on public and private lands. Deer and other
wild game or furbearer remains are considered municipal solid waste and should be disposed of along with other household waste through your curbside pick up,
or at an approved waste facility.
The dumping of animal remains is illegal. This does not apply to the viscera discarded from legally-harvested animals. Burning
and/or burying of animal remains may also present serious health concerns and are not advisable practices. Contact your county recycling coordinator for more
information. This statement has been developed with the cooperation of the state Department of Environmental Protection, Professional Recyclers of Pennsylvania,
Department of Conservation & Natural Resources and PA CleanWays-State.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, read that. I've been doing this for three years now and apparently a new private company is picking up the trash now. I informed them of this and they still said they aren't required to take it. So I can't just let deer pile up here and I can't get the Game Commission to enforce the rules with the township I'm stuck.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
There is no law for the PGC to enforce.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Just saw them apart and put them in garbage bags. Thats what I do.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
B0whunt3r said:
yes, read that. I've been doing this for three years now and apparently a new private company is picking up the trash now. I informed them of this and they still said they aren't required to take it. So I can't just let deer pile up here and I can't get the Game Commission to enforce the rules with the township I'm stuck.
Why did you inform them of anything. Just put it in a heavy duty bag(s), close it up tight, and set it out for the garbage truck. My refuge service has no idea what's in the bags...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cut the carcass up in small pieces and put it in contractor garbage bag put it in the can.Are they going to open the bag and check it?

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
Why did you inform them of anything. Just put it in a heavy duty bag(s), close it up tight, and set it out for the garbage truck. My refuge service has no idea what's in the bags...
No kidding. This is how I get rid of all my bodies.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
throw it in a dumpster somewhere

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What makes you think the PGC has a thing to do with the laws governing trash pick up? They don't and trash companys are not mandated by any law to haul away deer carcases.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
just doesn't make sense if the pgc says it's household trash but the trash company refuses to take it. It is in a black plastic bag in the trash can although I shouldn't have to hide anything. The township person I spoke to also said they get in trouble at the dump for it. It was a rather amusing but aggrivating convo. her: "are deer dying on your property" me: "you can say that, yes"

·
Registered
202 Posts
Buk_Huntir said:
Pa-Plinker said:
I like the wood chipper myself

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Buzzsaw said:
Buk_Huntir said:
Pa-Plinker said:
I like the wood chipper myself
just goes to show how easy it would be to get rid of a body

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Some landfills do not take carcasses so the trash pick up folks have to comply with their policy or find another place to dump.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts