The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My season has quietly come to an end. I was planning to finish out today and tomorrow, but work just won't allow it. Too much to get caught up on from prior time off, and lots to prepare for upcoming days off.
Didn't fill a tag nor release an arrow, but had one heck of a season. Even though filling that tag brings a great feeling of success and satisfaction of a plan coming together, archery season for me has always been about the challenge of getting close to deer in their normal behavior. Which happened a good bit this year, in each area I hunted.
I hunted a few new areas this year, saw quite a few deer, and had a great week of vacation seeing a lot of rutting activity. Got busted once drawing the bow, and drew two other times, once on a decent 8pt, but didn't have a clear shot to the deer.
Might take the bow out after Christmas but Flintlock has, and still is, always been my favorite PA season. Hopefully put some meat in the freezer with the rifle, then really enjoy the late season without the added pressure of an empty freezer.

Waidmannsheil!

·
Registered
330 Posts
My season has quietly come to an end. I was planning to finish out today and tomorrow, but work just won't allow it. Too much to get caught up on from prior time off, and lots to prepare for upcoming days off.
Didn't fill a tag nor release an arrow, but had one heck of a season. Even though filling that tag brings a great feeling of success and satisfaction of a plan coming together, archery season for me has always been about the challenge of getting close to deer in their normal behavior. Which happened a good bit this year, in each area I hunted.
I hunted a few new areas this year, saw quite a few deer, and had a great week of vacation seeing a lot of rutting activity. Got busted once drawing the bow, and drew two other times, once on a decent 8pt, but didn't have a clear shot to the deer.
Might take the bow out after Christmas but Flintlock has, and still is, always been my favorite PA season. Hopefully put some meat in the freezer with the rifle, then really enjoy the late season without the added pressure of an empty freezer.

Waidmannsheil!
Dang, sucks that your season has to end early, I wish you the best of luck during Flintlock, hopefully you will get a chance to fill a tag.

·
Super Moderator
27,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the nature of this job. After so many years not archery hunting because of location, the time I spent last year and this year has been great. Last year was more about sentiment, and just being glad to be back out with bow in hand. This year was far more serious towards filling tags. That didn't happen, but as the subject says I've no complaints, I enjoyed every minute of scouting and hunting this year! (Well, maybe those seconds that felt like minutes as I watched my bow fall back to the ground after my pull rope unhooked, weren't so enjoyable ;) )

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm there with you - didn't shoot but had a great season. My son shot a doe in the ML season - and with him and my 16 year old still having more antlerless tags for rifle season - i really had no pressure to shoot a doe with the bow. I had several opportunities last week in WV, but always found a reason not to ... was hoping the doe would pull a buck in ... didn't want to shoot a small one ... then on the last day there I decided it was time to shoot a big doe and literally ran out of time and light ... had one feeding in front of me at 18 yards right before quitting time, but never presented a good shot angle.

Having a lot of good bucks around on camera and wanting to try for one of them, I realized I had a high probability of eating that tag. I didn't buy my archery tag until the last minute - so I couldn't buy the extra one and didn't want to use the one I had early on a doe.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If ya can’t have that attitude on a no tag filled year, then what fun would the BBD years be? It was my year this season, but 18-19 went without a PA buck tag filled. So I guess 20’ should hold me over for another year or two.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the season and taking plenty of time off work for hunting, no other way to live!

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
I just appreciate being able to spend time in the woods regardless if I fill a tag or not. Probably hunted more this archery season than I ever had in my life. It was a great season for seeing deer on almost every sit and I hunted all over the place. Can’t even count how many different trees I climbed. Coming down the tree for the last time last evening made me feel thankful for having a safe season with no close calls. Getting in a variety of different trees and going up and down them in the dark, being tired or cold and possibly not being as careful due to the constant repetition definitely can put you at a little more of a risk when it comes to making a mistake and falling.
Can’t wait to see what next year brings.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I had a rewarding and satisfying season, hunted hard since day one and I'm tired but not exhausted so pretty much where I should be this time of year. I had a whopping six encounters with four different older bucks and between my son and I none are alive today. I was with my son when he shot his first 150 plus deer with a bow and helped recover his Pa buck with both son's and grandson. I shot my widest buck ever this year with my 22 1/2 inch inside spread Ohio buck. I will continue to hunt with my bow through the Pa. gun season and I'm really looking forward to late flintlock season. I had a great year and still lots of hunting left to try and fill my replacement Pa buck tag.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I had an enjoyable archery season, I didn't grind all that hard. I had plans to hunt harder but things changed. It started with a change to the bus routine which meant a later pick up for the boys so my wife couldn't get them on the bus and make to work on time so dad had to do it before going hunting. It cost me a shot at a buck one morning when I got in the tree late and he caught me hanging up my bow. A minute earlier to the tree and I think It would have ended differently. I ended up killing a buck so I guess you gotta just roll with it.

Then I have 2 buck tags in NY, one archery/muzzleloader and one regular rifle. I had the entire rut planned to burn as much daylight as I could up here to fill that archery tag. I missed a couple days the first week butchering a hog for the freezer but it had to be done and we had cold overnight temps so bit the bullet figuring I would have the rest of the month to hunt. Would have been a good plan but the school quarantined the entire 7th grade for 2 weeks which meant I had the oldest boy with me everyday and all day sits were ruled out, so between weather and life I got only 3 good days to hunt my best funnels and it never happened for me in the early season. The late season up here is rough, sometimes very deep snow and I am excited to carry my new inline up here this year. I came close to a late season buck last year and I have a better plan this season I think.

I will continue to hunt as much as I can the rest of the season, sitting here at camp now and the rain is coming down, I'm not excited about sitting in it just yet, but mid day it is supposed to let up and I have a plan to get in with the umbrella. I don't need the meat, just like to hunt and I hope that never changes.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Someone else stated that they had a "season of suck." Well... I had an epic season of suck. Instead of wrapping up another PA Triple Trophy by arrow, I experienced my worst season in 43 years of bowhunting, and have no one to blame but myself. Still unable to fully comprehend it. The 1st day of bear season, I botched a 20 yard shot on a nice bruin. Killed a bird the 2nd turkey hunt of the year, and then after 8 sets in the deer stand, I somehow managed to blow a 24 yard shot on my 130" target buck. Basically, I should've wrapped up a successful fall season with three species arrowed in 11 days of hunting, but now I'm left with shattered confidence and the worst bowhunting experiences of my life. As difficult as it is, I'm trying to stay in the game mentally. Although my equipment was not related to any of my problems this year, I'm setting up new bow and broadhead combinations this week to keep my focus and change my perception. I'm carrying 4 deer tags into the rifle season which I'll be bowhunting along with the late season.

I did get to hunt, help and meet a few forum members this season which was a great experience and for that I'm thankful.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Someone else stated that they had a "season of suck." Well... I had an epic season of suck. Instead of wrapping up another PA Triple Trophy by arrow, I experienced my worst season in 43 years of bowhunting, and have no one to blame but myself. Still unable to fully comprehend it. The 1st day of bear season, I botched a 20 yard shot on a nice bruin. Killed a bird the 2nd turkey hunt of the year, and then after 8 sets in the deer stand, I somehow managed to blow a 24 yard shot on my 130" target buck. Basically, I should've wrapped up a successful fall season with three species arrowed in 11 days of hunting, but now I'm left with shattered confidence and the worst bowhunting experiences of my life. As difficult as it is, I'm trying to stay in the game mentally. Although my equipment was not related to any of my problems this year, I'm setting up new bow and broadhead combinations this week to keep my focus and change my perception. I'm carrying 4 deer tags into the rifle season which I'll be bowhunting along with the late season.

I did get to hunt, help and meet a few forum members this season which was a great experience and for that I'm thankful.
Sounds like it's time to go back to the vertical bow to change things up.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
They say "without the bitter the sweet ain't so sweet" but sweet is what we crave and why we go. Just hang right in there Tbrom, this too shall pass.

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
I did complain a little bit this year about the one area I hunt that was over run by a group of guys this season. It felt exactly like rifle season in that particular area.
Just wanted to be honest by stating that it wasn’t all roses . Probably the most upset I have been in years.
I always expect running into other guys here and there being that I exclusively hunt public but that was to an extreme I could of never imagined.

·
Super Moderator
27,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did complain a little bit this year about the one area I hunt that was over run by a group of guys this season. It felt exactly like rifle season in that particular area.
Just wanted to be honest by stating that it wasn’t all roses . Probably the most upset I have been in years.
I always expect running into other guys here and there being that I exclusively hunt public but that was to an extreme I could of never imagined.
I hunt only public lands so that is the one thing I'm always concerned about, especially going into new areas. When I scout a new area and find locations for stands, my mind always tells me that if I found those spots so did others. The first day this year proved that to be true. There's only a small place to park where I was going, and as I was getting ready two cars come pulling in. We talked and found out where each other were going. Thankfully the spot I had chosen for opening day wasn't where they were heading. But where they were heading was the ridge where I had picked for a rut stand. Thankfully I never saw those guys again, nor anyone else, except for once when there were some turkey hunters in the area. Had they kept going there, I don't think I'd have had as much rut activity as I did. The opening day crew did, however, leave their marks all over the place in the way of stands, cateye tacks, and reflective twist ties hanging in trees. Those things kind of piss me off, but I don't let it ruin my hunting time. The bright eyes stuff especially. They're an eyesore, and today when just about everyone owns a smart phone with GPS capabilities (even without service) there's no need for littering the forest that way. The first couple of times to each of my spots in the dark, I found them with GPS Waypoints on the phone. After one or two times in, I'd go with just the green light.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Sounds like it's time to go back to the vertical bow to change things up.
I would enjoy that immensly but that's not an option. Need to get my mojo back. Hoping I can get on the mature 7-point I've keeping tabs on the past 5 years. Haven't seen him around lately. He may be dead.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I didn't get to hunt much but had a great last two days. I could shoot a basket 8pt every single year but I always hold out for 4.5 yo or older buck. Just the way I'm wired. Plenty of deer I've shot in the past. No need for me to shoot one just to say I shot one. Nonetheless I will be joining the orange army in hopes of catching up with my top hit list buck. Only buck I've been hunting all season. Practically a needle in a hay stack scenario. Should be fun though.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I had a great season so far even though I haven't loosed an arrow at a buck. I saw a ton of bucks of all sizes, including two real good ones. Passed on several in the 105-115" range. The rut was just getting going and the warm weather hit and sightings became progressively less and less, even little guys. I hunted pretty hard last week in the cold weather and started seeing lots of does and very few bucks and the ones I did see weren't bothering the does at all.
Weird year but can't complain about my sightings.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
This is the first year in a long time that I can remember not passing on a legal buck.
Only saw 3 for sure legal bucks and only one that was close enough that might have given me an opportunity had it not been for that button buck that busted me on the ground from 10 feet away as he was approaching the kill zone.

The landscape here is changing. Less bucks on camera every year. The woods are opening up. It's been probably 30 years since it was logged off.
I am going to have to start hunting else where's methinks.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
This is the first year in a long time that I can remember not passing on a legal buck.
Only saw 3 for sure legal bucks and only one that was close enough that might have given me an opportunity had it not been for that button buck that busted me on the ground from 10 feet away as he was approaching the kill zone.

The landscape here is changing. Less bucks on camera every year. The woods are opening up. It's been probably 30 years since it was logged off.
I am going to have to start hunting else where's methinks.
Good luck, Slay. Always sucks when it's time to move on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts