The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why doesn't the Pa PUC require the cell phone companies coverage to all the rural areas. It is a matter of health and safety, not just convenience. I realize that it would be costly. I know that there are spots on a mountain top but that is not good enough in a emergency. I saw somewhere that there was a plan to put small low cost repeaters on top of existing power poles to service rural areas. In case of an accident or heart attack could save lives. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I don't like Government wielding a heavy hand in business.
Towers aren't free to build, run, network, lease or buy the land they sit on.
There has to be an economic benefit for the companies to place them, or they don't.
While it would be great to have total coverage, you're still dealing with low-power rf signals. The number of towers necessary to cover 100% of those areas, not to mention added height, is a lot more than you think.
So how much would it drive up costs for EVERYONE, not to mention the eyesore of having hundreds, if not thousands of new, significantly taller, towers sprout up everywhere?
Also consider that the decision to live/work/play in remote areas bring responsibility for the consequences of said decision. Longer response times, less or lower quality access to some communications lines (like cell coverage and internet), fewer choices in retail stores, etc.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Why doesn't the Pa PUC require the cell phone companies coverage to all the rural areas. It is a matter of health and safety, not just convenience. I realize that it would be costly. I know that there are spots on a mountain top but that is not good enough in a emergency. I saw somewhere that there was a plan to put small low cost repeaters on top of existing power poles to service rural areas. In case of an accident or heart attack could save lives. What do you think?
Makes sense to me, luckily I get great service from camp and in the woods up in Potter Co. I am with Verizon.
Have other members in the club who have other other carriers and don't get service. :surprise2:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't like Government wielding a heavy hand in business.
Towers aren't free to build, run, network, lease or buy the land they sit on.
There has to be an economic benefit for the companies to place them, or they don't.
While it would be great to have total coverage, you're still dealing with low-power rf signals. The number of towers necessary to cover 100% of those areas, not to mention added height, is a lot more than you think.
So how much would it drive up costs for EVERYONE, not to mention the eyesore of having hundreds, if not thousands of new, significantly taller, towers sprout up everywhere?
Also consider that the decision to live/work/play in remote areas bring responsibility for the consequences of said decision. Longer response times, less or lower quality access to some communications lines (like cell coverage and internet), fewer choices in retail stores, etc.
I agree, I don't want government forcing companies to have to spend money that will never be returned and I doubt the stock holders do either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Verizon specifically because they have good coverage upstate. Our camp had poor coverage until a few years ago, a new tower made that better.

My brother near Estella has no cell service at home, but my brother near near Oley doesn't either.

If you go to Forest City a Verizon phone won't work at all. That's because Ed Tourje at NEP wouldn't lease Versizon space on his towers - he wants people to get his cell service.

·
Registered
871 Posts
i did see a video about a guy installing a booster at his hunting place in Texas. He had no service and put the booster in and had 4G service at his place in Texas I think it was called we boost or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
13,016 Posts
We don't have great cell service at our house. To use my cell phone at our camp in IN State I had to walk about 1/2 mile up a hill through the woods and out into a soy bean field to get every poor reception.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
i did see a video about a guy installing a booster at his hunting place in Texas. He had no service and put the booster in and had 4G service at his place in Texas I think it was called we boost or something like that.
My FIL has had some health issues so I put in a Weboost at camp so that we were accessible. It can't take "no service" and make good service. You need to have some signal in order for it to boost it up. That being said outside our cabin it was hard to make a phone call and texts would eventually go thru, but you couldn't text pics. After I put in the Weboost we can text pics from inside the cabin and make phone calls. They definitely work as advertised if you have some signal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was at an upstate Township meeting one time. There was a lady there who had recently moved into the Twp.
She was complaining about the dirt roads, lack of cell service and frequent power outages.
She continued her whining and ended it by saying, “ What if my husband has a heart attack?”
One of the older seasoned Supervisor looked her straight in the eye and with a straight face replied, “Mam, your husband will die”
I had to choke back the laugh.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I had to get rid of Verizon and go with AT&T at my place in Susquehanna. for some reason Version does not work inside my house

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
I have Verizon and dad has it in his vehicle we get good reception a lot of areas going up to camp except for a few dead spots between Westfield and Mills and going up route 44 between Eliamsport and just above Fur Fin and Feather . other than that we get good cell service

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

I think the number one reason I bought the camp I did was that there was no cell service, at all. :smile2: None:smile_big: zip:grin2: nada:grin2:. No TV. no phone, no noise. I can hear the wind and the rain and the birds and coyotes. Its so quiet sometimes I can hear it snowing. Ill trade peace and simple living over safety any day.

·
Registered
714 Posts
There are certain areas like up in the Poconos where local ordinances have banned the construction of cell towers. I would think they would have to figure out those legalities also.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I have Verizon and got service outside the cabin so we put a cheap booster up and have no problem. I go up to my place allot during spring and fall many times by myself and I don't worry about that but as long as I have my family at home I want cell service.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Bistro....if I remember correctly your camp is in my neck of the woods(Hillsgrove/Forksville). A large cell tower was recently erected on Bear Mountain across from Forksville. It's my understanding it should be operational in about 2-3 weeks and should cover the area(s) there. I still will carry my SPOT emergency satellite transmitter though.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Get the inexpensive service of a land line. I have had one in my cabin since I built it in 92. After flintlock season I put it in vacation mode and only pay a fraction of the original cost then turn back on in Sept. I figure if you can own a camp I should be able to afford a phone service.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I think the number one reason I bought the camp I did was that there was no cell service, at all. :smile2: None:smile_big: zip:grin2: nada:grin2:. No TV. no phone, no noise. I can hear the wind and the rain and the birds and coyotes. Its so quiet sometimes I can hear it snowing. Ill trade peace and simple living over safety any day.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not have a landline at my camp and I do not even have a cell phone. There is nothing that I do in life where I need to be in immediate contact with anyone, or them with me. And I have never had that "what if" emergency that everyone talks about why they have a cell phone. If I'm at camp, there's nothing that I'm going to be able to do for anyone anyway. And if I'm at home, I'm either there or at work and everyone who knows me has those numbers.
If it were up to me, every stinking cell phone on the face of the earth would be destroyed.
It drives me freakin nuts when we're at a restaurant eating dinner and there's a family sitting there, not even speaking to each other and they're all jacking around on their phones.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts