The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shooting my buck Saturday night, I didn't find my arrow right away but was not worried because the shot was 16 yards and I saw the impact. The arrow went in right behind his close shoulder and exited through the far shoulder. Recovery was about 100 yards. Any way, I found my arrow Sunday morning and it was perfectly clean. If I had found my arrow first, I would have been convinced that I missed. There was nothing on the shaft or vanes. Since I started using a crossbow, I have noticed several arrows having less sign on them than I would expect but none have been perfectly clean. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes. The victory bolts have a coating that the blood literally slides right off. I, too, watched the impact and was "what the"

·
Registered
20,863 Posts
It's also rained a bunch since then.My son shot a doe with a crossbow a few years ago.The bolt passed through the deer and lodged in a tree.We were both sure he hit it but he wasn't using a lighted nock at the time and it was a early in the morning,foggy and raining.We climbed down about an hour later and the arrow didn't have a drop of blood on it.I was started to think he missed and then noticed a bunch of hair all over the tree.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was no rain Saturday evening. I just found it to be odd that it was perfectly clean. No hair, blood or odor. If not for seeing the impact, I would have thought it to be a clean miss by reading the sign on the arrow.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
I’m not doubting you, but that is pretty rare. I shot at a deer, recovered the arrow, looked clean. When I got back to the truck and put on my reading glasses, I discovered a little blood on the head and fletching. As Dpms stated, almost always some blood, tissue or hair on a broad head. The Spitfires I use always have something on them after a pass through.

I think today’s carbon arrows don’t hold blood like aluminum arrows did. I’m old enough to have killed a couple with cedar shafts and real feathers....they were a bloody mess.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
A little trick that I use is to take a piece of white toilet paper or paper towel and wipe it on the arrow. You can usually see it then. If it goes thru the cavity it will usually feel a bit slimy as well.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I shot an 8 pt fri evening. I use victory bolts and fletch them myself with white and orange bohning quickfletch which has the white wrap. Nice red blood on the wrap and vanes, but couldn't see any blood on the arrow shaft itself. The shot was a tad high, but right thru the lungs and he piled up after 100 yards. I'm thinking the shafts do have a coating like mention above and make it hard to see sign on them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The first year I used a crossbow I shot at a buck and thought I missed it. Looked all over for blood or hair and couldn't find anything. Nothing on bolt. Decided to look around on trail and found the buck. Bolt went in front of deer under the neck and exited behind the shoulder. Guess the deer turned when I shot because it was broadside when I shot. My 66 year old eyes can't follow the bolt like they used to. Lighted knocks this year if I go.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Yesterday my buddy shot a doe with his Parker Thunderhawk and range broadheads The deer was hit thru the heart and ran about 80 yards. There was no evidence or trace material of a hit. However, the arrow did omit an odor of meat.

·
Super Moderator
12,513 Posts
Shot a KY and an OH buck this week both with 100 gr. Rage and Rage bow. Both bolts had blood on the arrow neither deer left a good blood trail for 15 -20 yards then there was a very heavy blood trail to the animal. One went 110 Yards the other less than 40. Both were complete pass through the chest cavities.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts