The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife is holding three meetings to hear from pheasant hunters to help develop a pheasant-stocking allocation formula. The formula will be used to provide an objective method for determining the number of pheasants to be stocked on each Wildlife Management Area. An RSVP is required to attend.

For more information, including meeting locations and times, and how to RSVP, visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2016/pheasmtgs16.htm on the Division's website.

·
Administrator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pheasant Stocking Allocation Meetings June 21, 24 & 28

June 3, 2016

NOTE: RSVP REQUIRED BY JUNE 13 TO ATTEND

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife is soliciting input from pheasant hunters to help develop a pheasant-stocking allocation formula for New Jersey's Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs). This formula will provide an objective method for determining the number of pheasants to be stocked on each Wildlife Management Area. While the total number of birds stocked statewide in a given year will not change (or be determined by this formula), the pheasant-stocking allocation formula will be used to determine the percentage of available pheasants that get stocked within each WMA on any given year.

The Division of Fish and Wildlife stocks pheasants on 23 Wildlife Management Areas and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. The distribution of birds on WMAs has remained unchanged for many years, with individual WMAs receiving the same set percentage of available birds from year to year. While bird allocations have remained the same, our Wildlife Management Area acreages and habitats have changed, as has the demographics of our stamp buyers. In recognition of these changes the Division has decided to develop a "pheasant-stocking allocation formula" that uses an objective approach to equitably allocate birds among WMAs with the goal of maximizing hunter safety and satisfaction.

How Can Hunters Get Involved?
Many hunters have already provided input towards this effort by participating in the Division's 2014 Pheasant & Quail Stamp Buyers Survey. The results of this survey were very helpful to us in understanding the pheasant hunting experiences of stamp buyers and for gathering information on how we might improve the Pheasant Stocking Program.

We are looking for assistance developing the Draft Pheasant-Stocking Allocation Model, and will be holding 3 stakeholder sessions to obtain input on this new initiative. Those interested in participating in the development of this new approach to allocating pheasants for stocking on state WMAs should attend one of the meetings listed below:

Tuesday, June 21, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Batsto Village Visitor Center
31 Batsto Rd.
Hammonton, NJ 08037

Friday, June 24, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Pequest Trout Hatchery
605 Pequest Rd.
Oxford, NJ 07863

Tuesday, June 28, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Monmouth Battlefield Visitor Center
16 Business Route 33
Manalapan, NJ 07726

To attend you MUST RSVP by June 13 to:
[email protected]
Please include your name, number of people, and which session you plan to attend in your RSVP.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
After reviewing the new stocking formula I think a lot of people are going to be very unhappy. I suspect it will result in a lower amount of stamps being sold. Fish and Game shot themselves in the foot on this one!

·
Administrator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll keep you posted. I'm at Pequest now waiting for the meeting to start.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Casey,

They had changed the date! The meeting was last night!

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
There were three meetings scheduled, South, Central,and North. The meeting in the North had a date change, it's also the region that was affected negatively in the new formula. Sometimes it makes you wonder!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Casey, I would try to attend the next meeting if I were you. The new model that counts (residence of stamp holders) does not take into account people from pa that buy non resident licenses and stamps.

·
Administrator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FLDBRED said:
Casey,

They had changed the date! The meeting was last night!
I sat there for about 30 minutes with 8 other guys
when a worker drove by,stopped and told us about the date change.

I left there and swung by Rockport Game Farm to see what was going on.

The guy that runs Rockport is a good friend of mine.

He told me whats going on and that it looks like birds will be cut for some of the northern parts but not to worry because Flatbrook and the DWGNRA will still get the normal stockings.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
According to what was discussed Flatbrook will lose a good number of birds while DWGNRA will actually see an increase, but remember DWGNPA only receives birds once a week!

·
Administrator
15,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good thing because that will take some of the hunters off Flatbrook and move them to the DWGNRA.

Clean out your pm box. I'll send you a pm.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I'll 2nd the mail box clean out😉

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
If the reaction at one of the northern sportsman association meetings is any indication the Fish and Game have some explaining to do!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts