The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
15,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on page 52 of the 2016-17 NJ Hunting and Trapping Digest

Wildlife Violator Acknowledges Responsibility for His Actions
My name is Martin Kaszycki and in October 2012, I illegally killed a male, American black bear adjacent to my hunting and fishing shop in New Jersey to display as a trophy. This bear was an older, non-nuisance, bear and weighed more than 450 pounds. I shot the bear from an elevated tree stand, with a bow and arrow, out of hunting season, in an area closed to hunting, after setting out bear bait within 300 feet of my stand, knowing this was all in violation of New Jersey state laws. I then drove the bear across state lines multiple times and provided false information on official state forms by stating that the bear had been killed in New York. When New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife (NJDFW) Conservation Officers confronted me about the bear, I told them I had killed the bear in New York. Realizing I was under investigation, I staged a fake kill site in New York to support my story. NJDFW collected evidence and started a joint investigation with the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

In November 2014, I entered a plea in federal court to two counts of violating the Lacey Act. The Lacey Act prohibits the interstate transport of wildlife taken or possessed in violation of any state law or regulation, as well as the making or submitting of a false record for wildlife that has been or is intended to be transported in interstate commerce. I also agreed to an obstruction enhancement at sentencing for engaging in acts to cover up the fact that I had illegally killed this bear in New Jersey.

I faced a maximum penalty of up to one year in federal prison and a $100,000 fine. As part of my plea agreement, I will pay a fine of $5,000 to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Lacey Act Reward Fund, forfeit the skull and hide of the bear, submit this letter to the NJDFW Hunting and Trapping Digest for public outreach, pay $1,250 to the Woodlands Wildlife Refuge for the care of American black bears in New Jersey, and undergo a three year period of federal probation, during which time, I will lose my hunting, fishing, and trapping privileges in all 50 states.

I apologize for my conduct and accept responsibility for it. When we as hunters violate state and federal wildlife laws, we dishonor our code of hunting ethics, gain an unfair advantage over wildlife, and threaten the sustainability of important species and the ecosystems that support them.

I would encourage anyone who has information about illegal hunting, trapping, or fishing in New Jersey, to notify NJDFW at 1-877-WARN-DEP (877-927-6337).
Sincerely,
Martin Kaszycki

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/dighnt16.htm

·
Registered
182 Posts
still, anytime the guy's name is googled for business or personal reasons his confession will come up.

i'm curious though, what did his helper(s) get for fines? bears are odd critters to move around, a 450 pounder doesn't sound like something you get into your truck by yourself in NJ, unload in NY reload in NY, unload in NJ

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
He got off easy. But if he was ever really in need of a real job, this could easily make his life really hard. A federal wrap will stay on your record for a long time..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.