The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a rangefinder for next season for archery. Ive been looking at the Nikon Riflehunter 550 and just wanted to ask your preference on what you think of them or any nikon rangefinder you may have.Pros/Cons. It will mostly be used to archery but i think i want the 550 yard one in case i go out west some year. Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know about archery but I have a 1200 yd model and it works great! Had it out west a few times and worked great, even goes over 1200 yds with a good reflective target.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
i have the nikon 550 that i use for achery and love it. my dog actually got ahold of it and chewed it up pretty good and it still works great. the dog was a bullmastiff

·
Registered
615 Posts
i own one 550 that is...... dont leave home without it!.......1/2 yards out to 99 you will be amazed how many times you miss judge yardage my friend had a bushnell until he tried mine.. he bought the same one !!! if you bowhunt turkeys it makes a big difference. ill give it a 10 outta 10

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I bought the regular Prostaff 550 this year for hunting. I ranged deer at close to 400 yds with it. I have been pleased with it so far. Gonna try it out some more this spring/summer on some groundhogs....

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys!!!looks like thats the one im gonna go with then

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome!!! Glad Im hearing good reviews!!! Thanks fellas!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
My dad and I each have the Nikon 1200. We have at times ranged the same target with each one even had a Leica 1200 and they all were within a yard or two of each other like 500 to 1000 yard range. We longrange hunt in northern Pennsylvania ranging stuff from 500 yards to 1200+ yards depending on the conditions. Bright sunny days are not the best for ranging targets way off in the distance an overcast day is always the best for ranging stuff. The further away the bigger the target the better like a pine tree.

·
Registered
957 Posts
i have the 550 rifle hunter and love it, i have used it for archery, rifle and also predator hunting and it has worked perfectly.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a ProStaff 550 that is not ranging at distances over 40 yards. Just got online with Nikon and was quoted between $100 and $200 to repair it. I am not a happy camper. Ya it's out of warranty but at least half the cost of new to repair it, or perhaps more than the cost of new!!! Thanks but no thanks. Nikon was my brand of choice, but not any longer.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A few weeks ago I took a 550PS and a 500RH for a spin at the local gun shop. The rifle hunter picked up trees at 500+yds where the cheaper 550 did not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts