The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are nightvision scopes legal for PREDATOR hunting? Ive read throught the game laws several times and the only thing I see specifically prohibited for night time predator hunting is lasers. Please backup up your opinion with facts. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would have to say NO you can not use night vision because they are electronically controlled

copy from general hunting rules:

Electronic Devices: It is unlawful to hunt with any electronic contrivance
or device except: 1) Electronic callers may be used to hunt
bobcats, coyotes, foxes, raccoons and crows. 2) Lighted pins on
bow sights and scopes with lighted reticles may be used as long as
they don’t cast a beam. Any device used as a sight or scope on any
firearm, bow or crossbow that projects a light beam of any kind onto
the target is unlawful. 3) Portable, two-way radios and cell phones

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Not legal is my understanding after reading the following from the PGC website, laws and regulations, title 58

§ 141.6. Illegal devices.
It is unlawful to:

(6) Hunt or take wildlife through the use of an electronic contrivance or device not permitted by Commission regulation.

§ 141.18. Permitted devices.
The following devices may be used to hunt or take wildlife:

(1) Any manually operated firearm that uses an electronic impulse to detonate the primer or main powder charge of the ammunition unless those firearms are a specifically prohibited device.

(2) Electronic sound amplification devices that are incorporated into hearing protection devices and completely contained in or on the hunter’s ear.

(3) Electronic devices used for locating dogs while training or hunting, including devices such as e-collars, radio-telemetry dog tracking systems and beeper collars.

(4) Electronic illuminating devices that are affixed at the aft end of a bolt or arrow and used solely for the purpose of locating or tracking bolt or arrow flight after being launched from a crossbow or bow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lets not forget the exceptions:
b) Exceptions. The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1) (i) Any archery sight or firearm's scope which contains and uses any mechanical, photoelectric, ultraviolet or solar-powered device to solely illuminate the sight or crosshairs within the scope.

(ii) Exception as otherwise provided under subparagraph (iii), no archery sight or firearm's scope shall contain or use any device, no matter how powered, to project or transmit any light beam, infrared beam, ultraviolet light beam, radio beam, thermal beam, ultrasonic beam, particle beam or other beam outside the sight or scope onto the target.

(iii) (A) A flashlight or spotlight may be mounted on a firearm to take furbearers, if the sole source of power for the flashlight or spotlight is contained within the flashlight or spotlight or on the person.

(B) For the purposes of this subparagraph, a flashlight or spotlight mounted on a firearm shall not include a device that projects a beam of laser light to indicate the intended point of impact for one or more projectiles discharged from the firarm.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
so you're saying the exceptions say it's legal? Where? You're probably thinking that 1 is your point, but you're missing the 'solely illuminate the crosshair' part. Illuminating the crosshair is fine. Illuminating the field is not.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Electronic Devices: It is unlawful to hunt with any electronic contrivance
or device except: 1) Electronic callers may be used to hunt
bobcats, coyotes, foxes, raccoons and crows. 2) Lighted pins on
bow sights and scopes with lighted reticles may be used as long as
they don’t cast a beam. Any device used as a sight or scope on any
firearm, bow or crossbow that projects a light beam of any kind onto
the target is unlawful. 3) Portable, two-way radios and cell phones

There you have it
No

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Night vision scopes are not legal to use for hunting anything in PA. Night vision scopes do more than simply light the crosshairs or dot, they gather an enhance ambient light and in some cases project IR light. They are an eletronic device not apporved by the commission.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
With a flash light or a spot light, not a scope that throws inferred. They are not legal.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
oldfatguy said:
paragraph iii says iluminating the field is legal IF you are hunting furbearers.
I said field meaning field of view in the scope; meaning the area not covered by the crosshairs. NOT the field you are hunting in.

you can't use them. Let it be.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You can't like others have said its not a legal device.

·
Super Moderator
26,991 Posts
Are night vision monoculars allowed in PA?

Just wondering. I can use the handheld NV here when hunting pigs, but not mounted on the gun.

·
Super Moderator
26,991 Posts
Didn't think so. They're actually kind of useless because after looking through them, when I put them down everything is fuzzy looking for the next minute or two. So it really is difficult to use them to id something, and then try to shoot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts