The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to do some night time bassin but dont know to much
Is there any certain time periods the fish are more active??
Whats lures and what colors?

I know about the blackjitterbug
but just trying to find some other lures
Are the fish deep and shallow at night?

This is for Largemouths

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
Are you fishing a river or lake/pond?

The hour or so before dark is good and the action improves as darkness falls, so get there before dark and get your bearings.

I've been fishing the Susky north branch at night, the fish do seem to be moving into the shallows at night. Most lures that give off vibration will work well, spinnerbaits but go for a Colorado blade or something round, not the willow leaf style, crankbaits and topwater.

I like to prospect for an hour or 2 before dark and search for promising looking water, then come back and fish it after dark. A crankbait is a good searching lure and if you get a bass or 2 then you know the stretch has some potential. For river fishing I look for moving water next to current breaks and medium current pools with plenty of underwater rock structure.

We have a full moon coming up tonight and tomorrow, a bright moon will usually slow down the bite. Overcast cloudy skies help just like during daytime fishing.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Didn't we give you a list last year

Besides the jitterbug any other topwaters(black is color of choice) Zara Spook, Tiny Torpedo, buzzbait etc. You want something with a steady retrive that fish can track, not a popper style(although)
For a little deeper short arm spinnerbaits(more vibration)in a dark color(blk,blu,purple). Any crankbait/rattle bait in a dark color, chatterbaits
On the bottom go with jig+pigs, or larger(10"-12") size worms.
As for where in the lake that's the million dollar question. Most of my fishing is in shallower areas(under 10'), however there is deep water(could be as little as a 2' creek channel to a 20' drop off)nearby

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol maybe but I cant remember
I knew there was a post about night time bass fishing a couple months ago but I tried searching for it but couldnt find it
Thanx for the help ice

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Get a black light for your boat. Use any type of florescence line, 8 to 12 pound test. Use whatever you like during the day to catch bass, just watch your line.

·
Registered
959 Posts
strike king makes a perfect spinner bait for night fishing. Strike King® Rattlin' Midnight Special® Spinnerbait in blue black. Throws a ton of vibration perfect for bass to find.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I caught a lot of largemouths in lakes and big smallies in the Susky on those Midnight Specials, with a trailer hook. I caught some nice ones fishing for hybrids at Pinchot this year. Top three were 19", and two 19 1/2", all on stickbaits. I used to night fish for big bass all the time before the hybrid stripers obsessed me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts