The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have never been out night fishing for bass and I would really like to give it a try. Is the night fishing any good around here and could someone give me some tips for my first trip night fishing?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Black is usually the best color of anything for topwater bits. Senkos are a good bet but dont overlook classics like hula poppers and buzzbaits in black either.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
As stated black is best, however don't be afraid to use alewives colors if the lake has them(esp. near lighted beaches/launch areas).
Your topwater presentations should be more steady retreive as opposed to a stop + go retreive. Generally it is easier for the fish to track down your lure. I also use short arm spinnerbaits.... http://stansloanzorrobaitco.com/shortarm.php These really thump Bass Pro used to sell them but didn't see them on their site. If you go with a worm or jig/pig use larger than you normally would( i throw a 6"worm during daylight but after dark I go up to 10")

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Black spinnerbait with a black colorado blade has worked well for me at night. The rubber worms always work, so you can't go wrong with that choice either.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
A black zara spook or heddon torpedo were my two favorite top water baits at night.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
like was said..black and purple work well...even your normal crank baits, stick baits etc...i fished the saltwater for striped bass and once i learned that i did well at night...

also dont overlook live shiners and such...

we used to hit a lake when i was younger...there were always BIG bass in the weed beds in the day time everyone tried to catch..come night fall, we'd rig a big shiner under a bobber and toss it just past that weed bed and we hammered them..the fish that no one else would catch...it was a blast

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've fished many years at night for bass, walleyes, and now hybrid stripers. Caught lots of big largemouths and smallies at night. Big black jitterbugs, black spinnerbaits, black worms. I do catch some nice largemouths throwing silver/chrome lures at the stripers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts