The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here goes:

I asked for and received the Night Eyes gun (shooting) light a few weeks back, and here is my evaluation. Please be reminded that I have no monetary or any type financial interest in this company. I call them as I see them and I suggest changes for the betterment of all:

This light carries the same high intensity Cree Q5 red LED that has become famous for its brightness and reliability. It's housed in a well made water resistant sealed aluminum tube, and comes with a standard "clicky" switch on the rear. It comes with and uses one 18650 battery that we all know well, and comes with a wall outlet battery charger. The advertised time lasts about 2 hours.* The LED sits back a ways from the tempered front glass, and throws a nice tight concentrated beam. I noticed that the reflector design is such that you may not need a halo shield, because the halo sits out about 6 feet or more from the head end. Depending upon your setup and mounting preference, of course...I can easily see eyes over 300 yards plus (Remember this is a shooting light, you'll be bringing them in closer than that. As an aside, I used this light the other night and shot a red with my 22 mag Henry, but the way it was mounted on my Bushnell 3-9X 40 scope proved I will need a halo shield of some sort, as the beam was lighting up my barrel and part of my scope a bit, although the red did not seem to mind.

Replacing the click switch with the provided remote tail cap switch coil cord showed quite a difference. You cannot hear the remote switch at all, nada. It is encased in a thicker rubber protector and both ends are secured. The company has now attached the Velcro right onto the switch from the factory, and you just need to figure out where you'll place the other piece of Velcro on your firestick. Switch has two features, on and off from the SAME spot on the switch, and about 1/4 inch up on the switch is a spring loaded pressure button you can hold for temporary turn on. When you let up pressure the light turns off. Nice feature for quick access. The light will mount using a standard all purpose scope/gun mount.

*A feature I was surprised to learn about is that this light can be ordered with a mode setup. Hi, medium and low, which means longer battery life on medium and low. Once you enter a mode for more than 2 seconds, as I'm told thru the engineers, you turn the light off and when you turn it back on, it remembers the mode it was in. I see this as a plus, because if you're in tight quarters and you don't want a full-on beam, you can lower the light level and not burn eyes if the fur is close. Overall I'm impressed again, the light is sturdy and well made. This is another LED shooting light I'll be adding to my collection and using this year.

If there is anyone who wants me to evaluate their predator hinting gear, you may get ahold of me here or my web site.

John

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nice write up John. Sure are a lot of good lights out there to choose from now. I find it intersting that you are still using a halo shield. I stopped using them over a year ago and have not seen any negative response from predators. I don't even use them for head mounted lights however, I do tighten the beam on them. As another predator hunter whom I respect told me, they are dead before I have to worry about the light shining on the end of my gun.

Are you spooking animals without a halo? If you are, how do you know they spooked for that reason and not others?

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lookn4Fur said:
Nice write up John. Sure are a lot of good lights out there to choose from now. I find it intersting that you are still using a halo shield. I stopped using them over a year ago and have not seen any negative response from predators. I don't even use them for head mounted lights however, I do tighten the beam on them. As another predator hunter whom I respect told me, they are dead before I have to worry about the light shining on the end of my gun.

Are you spooking animals without a halo? If you are, how do you know they spooked for that reason and not others?
Hey brother how are you? I am not using the halo shield on my scanning head light, because the halo is out there and makes for a nice "hide behind" effect. I was getting some flashback into my scope on the Henry using the gun light. I'm going to move the light today before I head out and see if it makes a difference. I was experimenting with it dead even at the end of the scope, and I'm seeing a little glare. I'll pull it back. I don't think the critters mind, but I'm seeing the barrel lit up a bit..........

John

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I was thinking about all the setups I've seen, and my gun light is tight to the top of the scope. Some guys have their light mounted a little higher on their scope, and if it is, I see the tighter beam not hitting the end of their barrel area nor flooding into the scope end. Just a matter of experimentation, tho.........besides, being a light man, I can't imagine not being able to tweak a few things and make it right, that would be like a shoemaker with no soles!!

John

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can't say enough about the nighteyes!! On this particular night I saw both this red and another red that I didn't get at over 200 yds and 300 yds respectively. On the one I didn't get as soon as we started to call its eyes popped up at over 300 yds. The only thing I had on was my scanning light at about 60% power. I watched it through a hedge row come the whole way across another cornfield and into the hedge row then walk a little sideways in the row. When it came out of the hedge row at about 70 yds it was running. When I turned the gun light on I had no problem telling it was a red but I just flat missed in all the excitement. On the red that is in the picture it step out of a stand of pines on the edge of the field we were hunting at a little over 200 yds. Once again only using my scanning light. It hung up at about 150 yds so I turned on the gun light and had no problem at that distance telling it was a fox although I couldn't swear to the color at the time. A squeeze of the trigger later you see the results. The gray was pretty uneventful as I saw it as it came out of a fence line at less than 50 yds and ran straight into about 20. I could tell with only the scanning light that it was a gray but I turned on the gun light and downed it.

The nighteyes lights are awesome!!! Thanks for such an affordable and usuable product. The lights used in combination could not be better!! Recomend them highly.

G

·
0 Posts
I have both the night eyes scanning light and the gun light, and i cant say enough about these lights hands down EXCELLENT!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts