The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything or anyone who has had their lock assembly plated to resist rust or corrosion? What would the best plating be? or just polish it up? seems to get flash rust immediately...thinking something to resist the corrosion of the powder..

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
You are talking about surface rust on the outside or inside of the plate? Flint lock or percussion? What type of powder are you using and what is your cleaning routine? Please giv us some details. I have never heard of a lock assembly having this issue that is cleaned properly and oiled as required.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try to get a photo, but its been awhile since I tried to upload a photo here so im not sure how that will work out. Its a traditions BASIC flintlock. now that being said there are some scratches and knicks on the blued barrel etc. the frizzen has very light 'rust dust' i call it on the striker side. the back side has some rust specks. The pivot area where you close to cover the powder before firing has what I would call surface rust. I thought i wanted to keep ANY oil away from this area..especially the frizzen and powder dump area. I for sure AM not handy and the springs scare me for sure. If I was going to get it taken apart Id just assume get it coated or polished or something.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I would dismount that lock and spray it off with some compressed cleaner like Gun Scrubber and then brush the life out of it with an old toothbrush and a bronze brush. You may need to take some wet/dry very fine emory cloth to the frizzen face and shine it up real brite. Spray it up good with Rem Oil and don't worry about getting it on the frizzen. When you go for a shooting session wipe down the pan and frizen face with soem rubbing alcohol and punch out the flash hole with a pip cleaner. Also, you may want to take a look at web sites dedicated to ML shooting and maintainance. Oil and grease are as much a part of flintlocks as powder, patch and ball.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts