The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, member Tale Chaser PM'd me and gave me permission to metal detect some property he owns. There are some old stone foundations on the land and as far as I could tell through research, they date back to the mid 1800's.

Today I set out to check the place out and attempt to date it with some finds. I only had about an hour, but that was all it took to reach my goal. After digging close to a dozen shotgun shell tops, I finally hit some old alarm clock gears. After that I got part of an old harmonica reed. These are great signs of civilization and I knew I was in the right area. About 30 minutes into the hunt I pulled a mid 1800's era copper ring! Nothing fancy, but the oldest ring I"ve found to date.

Realizing my time was short and I soon had to hit the road, I went right to the North facing "doorway" of the small foundation and instantly had a solid signal that I knew was a coin by the readings. It ended up being a very worn 1864 Indian head penny, my oldest indian yet! I packed it in after that, but know that many more trips are in store. There is a bigger foundation that I haven't even swung near yet.

a huge THANK YOU to tale chaser, not often do spots open up this close to home, but even less often do the owners call me instead of vice versa.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
Now that's cool. Looks like that clock parts kind of say the clock woke someone up at the wrong time. Or maybe did not wake someone up when it was supposed to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts