The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I saw recently where someone was making a really nice looking wood stock rifle at a discount price. Anyone recall who it was?

I really think we have lost the art of the wood and blue rifle.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Plastic sells! They are more durable, less fickle, and cheaper to make. Synthetics aren't nearly as elegant as walnut but for the guy who wants a no-nonsense rifle they are the answer.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Kimber has very good on the Classic, and then offer "Select" ,and for $$$ the SuperAmerican. Best wood on a production rifle.
I love mine.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I work part time, selling guns at a large distibutor and can say that a lot more guys are asking for wood than anytime in the last few years. There is a large variance in wood from the major manufacturers. Some come in ugly as sin while another of the same make might be a beauty. I like wood so I will usually pull several guns out to help a customer pick a nice pc, Although it doesn't matter to some.

I had a beauty of a Savage American Classic in 300 Sav. come in the other day. It had a superb, nicely figured pc of walnut on it and darn near got a ride home in my truck
Some of the new Winchesters have been showing up with some nice dark figure to them too!! The Tikkas and Sakos always have nicely figured stocks as well.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I like wood stocks more then the synthetic ones.The Camo I can deal with but the black i don't like. My Marlin 22mag. has black but will become camo soon. Rem. 700 has the ss and ss black extreme condition rubber stock rifle. For looks it's not me but it dose make for rough places. I love the CDL SS Fluted and clasic wood and rose tip beautiful gun IMO....later

·
Administrator
39,026 Posts
moosehunter said:
Plastic sells! They are more durable, less fickle, and cheaper to make. Synthetics aren't nearly as elegant as walnut but for the guy who wants a no-nonsense rifle they are the answer.
Although my son owns one,and i got one in a muzzy i still like my wood!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My Kimber has nicely figured European walnut and Cooper will sell you any grade your wallet can afford. Take a look at their new Model 94.

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
The Turkish Walnut stocks on the CZ 550FS's are really nice wood.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I personally love the nice grain in a wood stock. The only problem I have is when I'm in the field I'm too paranoid about scratching it and when I do the anxiety takes a year or two off my life. So with me, It takes the fun out of hunting a little bit when I'm worried about scratching my stock.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had the same feelings Magsav. I bought a nice wood kimber years ago and have hunted out west with it several times. After the first Antelope/Deer hunt I wanted to cry. Now it looks like I pulled it behind my truck. But now that it's broke in I don't worry about it anymore. The trade value sure takes a hit.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I like wood. I like the dings and chips and scratches and discolrations from sweat and mud and rain and blood and sun and snow and heat and that overturned bottle of Hoppes #9. I like wood and what it says.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I totally understand about not wanting to scratch up a niece piece of wood. I have a couple synthetic guns but most are wood. Anymore, I don't wory about it as long as its just used, and not abused. People are worrying that the gun will be worth less if they decide to sell or trade. You're getting rid of it anyway. So you get $50 or $100 less, not the end of the world. When I look at some older shotguns & rifles with some worn bluing a few dings and scratches in the stock etc, they're still nice and say "I was a hunters gun and I've been some places and taken some game" Like our shoes, clothes, vehicles, etc they were meant to be used and enjoyed by us. Leave the artwork in the museums, take your wood gun hunting. My $0.02

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I like wood, the laminated wood included.
I love the nicks, scratches, dents and dings on the old Winchester, Savage and Marlin levers. Every mark has a story to tell and how I would love to hear everyone of them.
Every time I happen across a unknown hunter in the woods, I take a quick peak at their firearm. It can tell me right off to some extent what kind of person I'm meeting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts