The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After supper my two boys wanted to spend some more time outside. They didn't want to go fishing but instead they wanted to go chase bugs down at the local club where I run the dogs and hunt in the fall. It was a nice evening with plenty of bugs flying around and worms to be found under rocks. A real playground for two young boys. During our walk we heard a call from a bobwhite coming from the woods. Just after that we watched a female bobwhite run deeper into the swampy woods from the edge of the woods. Too bad I didn't bring my good camera. I tried to use my phone but couldn't get a picture. We kept walking and the boys kept tring to catch bugs and had some success. They had better luck picking up feathers and flowers and were happy to do so. Then we heard a cackle from a rooster. I looked around and I saw a rooster walking through a field of winter wheat (I think). He came out of the switchgrass field. Here is a picture of the area where he came from:

The quail we saw was to the left of the where the boys are.

We walked over to the area the rooster was and thats when I saw the three hens walking behind him. I tried to get some pictures but they were too far away. This is the best I could do:

My two boys liked watching the birds in the field and spent a good amount of time just watching them. The farmer was starting to spray the field and the pheasants started to walk back towards the safety of the switchgrass and we moved on.

When we were leaving I heard anothe quail call and this one was from a different area. I was glad to still hear and see the birds around. Since they were spread out so much I'm pretty sure they are trying to pair up. Earlier in the day I saw a rooster that was hit in the middle of a road just outside of McSherrystown. Seeing these birds made me feel better after seeing that dead rooster. I just wish I could have gotten better pictures. But it was still a very nice evening.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
It was a great night to be outside tonight

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Nice pics. Really a beautiful spring I just would want it to be a bit warmer. It kind of reminds me of San Francisco in early Fall.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Boys and bugs, I sure do remember that! So you have holdover quail and pheasant, not to shabby if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Nice post Brian.

A breeding population is all that's needed at this point.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to see a brood of quail and/or pheasants down there. I stop running the dogs in the spring just in case. Plus I know ducks and other animals nest in the area and I don't want to disturb them. I'll give them some time and then check things out with the dogs and see if I find anything. I figure the worst case scenerio is we keep doing what we're doing and have birds just about year round on the property.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts