The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Lawrence will be drafted in the first round long before the Steelers will draft. He will likely go in the top five. The Steelers won’t be that bad, even if Ben is hurt.
Steelers gave up a lot to Miami to get Fitzpatrick, and rightfully so. They would be wise to give up even more to get Lawrence....the timing would be perfect. But , of course everybody will want Lawrence.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Lawrence will be drafted in the first round long before the Steelers will draft. He will likely go in the top five. The Steelers won’t be that bad, even if Ben is hurt.
Steelers gave up a lot to Miami to get Fitzpatrick, and rightfully so. They would be wise to give up even more to get Lawrence....the timing would be perfect. But of course everybody will want Lawrence.
They gave up a #18 pick for Fitzpatrick. I think the Dolphins figured it would be higher with Ben out.

Lawrence will likely be drafted in the top five next year, possibly even first. I don’t see the Steelers trading up 15 or more spots. The further you trade up, the more it costs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
They gave up a #18 pick for Fitzpatrick. I think the Dolphins figured it would be higher with Ben out.

Lawrence will likely be drafted in the top five next year, possibly even first. I don’t see the Steelers trading up 15 or more spots. The further you trade up, the more it costs.
15 or more picks you have high hopes... steelers time as bottom team in nfl for the next 10 years is now.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

15 or more picks you have high hopes... steelers time as bottom team in nfl for the next 10 years is now.
It might be more like 10-12 picks. Lots of people thought without Ben they would be 5-11 or worse but they finished .500. Their defense is good enough to keep them from being truly awful. The bottom team in the NFL? For 10 years? They haven’t had a losing season since 2006. You might have them confused with the Bengals (last playoff appearance (2015), last playoff win (1991) or the Browns (last winning season (2007), last playoff appearance (2002), last playoff win (1995, which was before they became the Ravens).

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
For the Patriots to get Tua, they’ll have to trade up, which I doubt they will do.
Granted, trading up to get Tua would run counter to Belichick's preferred MO.....he hates giving up anything. But New England hasn't been without a QB for a long time....desperate times require desperate measures. I still question their decision to send Garoppolo packing....although Jimmy G proved last year when it comes right down to it, he may be a choker.....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
For the people that think it's easy to get a franchise QB in the sixth round, the following is a list of QBs drafted in the sixth round since 2000. How many of you actually heard of? How many have even been starters for any length of time?

Gardner Minshew II
Trace McSorley
Luke Falk
Tanner Lee
Brad Kaaya
Nate Sudfeld
Jake Rudock
Brandon Allen
Jeff Driskel
Zach Mettenberger
David Fales
Keith Wenning
Tajh Boyd
Garrett Gilbert
Ryan Lindley
Tyrod Taylor
Rusty Smith
Dan LeFevour
Joe Webb
Tony Pike
Tom Brandstater
Mike Teel
Keith Null
Curtis Painter
Colt Brennan
Andre' Woodson
Jordan Palmer
Reggie McNeal
Bruce Gradkowski
Derek Anderson
Andy Hall
Josh Harris
Jim Sorgi
Jeff Smoker
Drew Henson
Brooks Bollinger
Kliff Kingsbury
J.T. O'Sullivan
Steve Bellisari
Josh Booty
Josh Heupel
Marc Bulger
Spergon Wynn
Tom Brady
Todd Husak
JaJuan Seider

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Granted, trading up to get Tua would run counter to Belichick's preferred MO.....he hates giving up anything. But New England hasn't been without a QB for a long time....desperate times require desperate measures. I still question their decision to send Garoppolo packing....although Jimmy G proved last year when it comes right down to it, he may be a choker.....
I think they would have trade way up to get him, which I doubt they will do.

Apparently, Bellicheck wanted to keep Garoppolo but was told by Kraft he had to keep Brady. Garoppolo's contract was up and they couldn't afford to keep both of them. The Niners got to the Super Bowl. I wouldn't label Garoppolo a choker.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It might be more like 10-12 picks. Lots of people thought without Ben they would be 5-11 or worse but they finished .500. Their defense is good enough to keep them from being truly awful. The bottom team in the NFL? For 10 years? They haven’t had a losing season since 2006. You might have them confused with the Bengals (last playoff appearance (2015), last playoff win (1991) or the Browns (last winning season (2007), last playoff appearance (2002), last playoff win (1995, which was before they became the Ravens).
Going to be hard to improve with 6 picks this year. Plus a old racist rapist with a repaired elbow. Good luck

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
The Niners got to the Super Bowl. I wouldn't label Garoppolo a choker.
Garoppollo is an above average QB, just don't know if he has what it takes to be listed with the all time greats. That's why I said he may be a choker...time will tell. I guess I really can't fault him for losing to a Mahomes led Chiefs....now there is quite possibly the future goat of NFL QBs.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
The Niners got to the Super Bowl. I wouldn't label Garoppolo a choker.
Garoppollo is an above average QB, just don't know if he has what it takes to be listed with the all time greats. That's why I said he may be a choker...time will tell. I guess I really can't fault him for losing to a Mahomes led Chiefs....now there is quite possibly the future goat of NFL QBs.
Mahomes looks very promising, but I’m not ready to say he’s the future GOAT after two years. Garappolo has done better than I thought he would.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Going to be hard to improve with 6 picks this year. Plus a old racist rapist with a repaired elbow. Good luck
If Ben does not play another down, he can still wave his two Super Bowl rings at you during his Hall of Fame induction.

Allegations of a drunk chick in a bar have followed countless rich athletes.

As far as racist, you must have a medical marijuana card to think that a white racist player could last that long in an NFL locker room. With a black coach. Rantings of a likely CTE deranged Antonio Brown be darned.

You really think players like Cam Heyward would not leave in free agency if they had one thought that the team tolerated that? That people like loudmouth Stephen A would not be all over that? A fringe RB phsyically assults a chick in a Cleveland hotel and its worldwide on TMZ. A franchise QB with two rings is a racist and this isnt headlines every day?

There's a rapper that fits that post. His name is Ludicrious.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Given the Pats run during the Bill/TB era, I guess that is some good evidence that once you get past that handful of players who are nearly the proverbial "slam dunk", the difference between #23 and #43 picks (as an example) is highly subjective.

The Fins look to be on an upward path, I like the Tua pick because he can sit and learn from a smart and willing (key point) mentor in Fitzpatrick. Lots of picks still coming for them and in a couple years they could be a force.

Bills are a solid team with good young players too. No longer a gimmie for NE to waltz in that division.

Bengals making a move too, Zac Taylor and Burrow in the fold now, they will be better. Hated seeing Ravens get Queen, AFC North also got better.

But winning the draft does not win games. On to Round 2!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Given the Pats run during the Bill/TB era, I guess that is some good evidence that once you get past that handful of players who are nearly the proverbial "slam dunk", the difference between #23 and #43 picks (as an example) is highly subjective.

The Fins look to be on an upward path, I like the Tua pick because he can sit and learn from a smart and willing (key point) mentor in Fitzpatrick. Lots of picks still coming for them and in a couple years they could be a force.

Bills are a solid team with good young players too. No longer a gimmie for NE to waltz in that division.

Bengals making a move too, Zac Taylor and Burrow in the fold now, they will be better. Hated seeing Ravens get Queen, AFC North also got better.

But winning the draft does not win games. On to Round 2!
Very true. How many times have the Browns “won” the draft or the offseason? The Bengals are a bad organization. They have problems beyond getting good players.

After the draft is over, the draft pundits will grade each team's draft, which is one of the most ridiculous parts of the process. They grade players who haven't played a down in the NFL. Would you like your boss to decide on your performance for the year on January 2nd? Did your teachers give you a grade before you took a test or wrote a paper?

One of the highest graded drafts for the Steelers was right after the draft was 2008. It turned out to be the worst draft the Steelers had in the Tomlin era.

1st: Rashard Mendenhall RB- not a bust, but a disappointment for a 1st round pick.
2nd: Limas Sweed-biggest 2nd round bust ever for the Steelers
3rd: Bruce Davis OLB-played 5 games for the Steelers and was gone by 2011
4th: Tony Hills OT: Gone by 2011
5th: Dennis Dixon QB: started three games
6th Mike Humpal; LB - injured, never played for the Steelers
6th: Ryan Mundy S - Mostly reserve safety

All were gone by 2013

21 - 36 of 36 Posts