The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all the experts seem to say Cleveland will pick a QB first. I have to ask why? Of the top 3 QB's is one THAT much better?
All the same experts also keep saying that Barkley is the best player out there. Why not pick the best first? Money? Value? none of it makes sense to me.

I am not a Cleveland fan. But if I was picking in this draft for them I would take Barkley first and take the best QB left 4th. Why chance the next 2 teams will pass on the best player in the draft.

Any opinions on this?

Who should the Eagles draft?

Who should the Steelers draft.

I sure wish Barkley would be around when ether of these get to pick. Waugh!

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
Cleveland is going to blow it (I mean it's pretty much a given that they mess this up somehow), but If I was them I would look at the team they have. Defense isn't really that bad the offense was just so terrible they where always in a bad spot. They now how LEGIT receivers and Tyrod isn't a great QB but he can win you 8-10 games which is the equivalent of a super bowl for Cleveland and he also doesn't turn the ball over. They have some decent RB signings in the off season too. so I suggest Trade a the #1 for a proven player that can help you right now say Gronk. Then use the rest of the draft to build a KILLER line.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Cleveland is going to blow it (I mean it's pretty much a given that they mess this up somehow), but If I was them I would look at the team they have. Defense isn't really that bad the offense was just so terrible they where always in a bad spot. They now how LEGIT receivers and Tyrod isn't a great QB but he can win you 8-10 games which is the equivalent of a super bowl for Cleveland and he also doesn't turn the ball over. They have some decent RB signings in the off season too. so I suggest Trade a the #1 for a proven player that can help you right now say Gronk. Then use the rest of the draft to build a KILLER line.
Tyrod Taylor couldn't win 10 games in a division that includes the Jets and Dolphins, no where near the caliber of defenses he will face in Pittsburgh and Baltimore, and even Cincy isn't the mess NYJ and MIA are. One of the reasons the Pats record is inflated is they play in a division that has consistently produced average or less competition.

Gronk may have a year or two left, at best. He finally said he was going to play in 2018. Trade him to Cleveland and he'll retire the next day. The guy is beat up and abused with some significant injuries over the years and he's made his money. He's on the decline and one big shot by a linebacker or nasty strong safety could end it for him. Great player, but lots of miles. Insane to trade the #1 draft pick for him unless you get both of NE's number one's and a couple more picks.

The "legit" receivers are only that if they have someone to deliver the rock. Gordon is one bong away from permanent banishment. Landry feasted in a weak division and gained yards once NE was up by 21 in the 4th on the Fins. The AFC Least.

It's a QB league, and Cleveland has blown it big time with Manzel, Brady Quinn, and others. Last good pick was Couch, and they put him in with basically a MAC lineup around him. You take the QB at #1, and then take Chubb or Barkley who's left at #4. If both are left, you take Chubb, then pick up the franchise RB on Day Two unless a defensive stud slips to the top of Round 2.

Of course, they will take Allen, thinking he is the Next Big Thing for QBs out of a Non-Power-Five conference, aka Carson Wentz, and he'll go on to maintain that mid 50's completion percentage and get booed out of The Mistake By The Lake.

When you have many QBs touted by the pundits as being The Guy, then you really don't have The Guy. Time will tell who will emerge out of Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, and on and on. Maybe none do. Certainly five or six will not.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Picking a qb first gives hope. Hope sells tickets.

Imo, the stillers need to be finding the qb of the future soon. Mebey not first pick soon, but mebey if the right guy falls to them. If ben goes down, it's season over for the stillers, and probably retirement. I remember what happened to the last stiller dynasty after #7 went on to his lifes work, years of futility. Get a quality qb now, get him ready, cus you may need him sooner than you think.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If Cleveland drafts another QB first The deserve to get burnt again. I would trade the first pick for a established QB before I took one in the draft when I can get one of the top three after I already picked the best player in the whole draft.

I agree Pitt will have to find a replacement for Ben soon but maybe not in the early rounds or even in this draft. but soon is better than later.

The big question is what are the Eagles needs and is there anyone in the draft that can help. Any place kickers out there? I can't think of any other urgent needs. but RB's always help. Waugh!

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I hope the Eagles take KR and PR Quadre Henderson from Pitt, he has Pitts return record, he is a local kid...

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well RonM you got your wish and I guess Manning will ride off into the sunset after his next ring. I knew the NY teams would not pass on the best player in the draft. QB's were wild. IMHO Cleveland messed up.

YD looks like Cleveland next move at 4 was to sell tickets drafting a CB from Ohio st.

Just think Cleveland picked a CB from Ohio St and the Kid that torched him from Okla. Does anyone in Cleveland even watch football. Waugh!

·
Registered
39,301 Posts
The Eagles traded their first round pick to the Ravens.......

They had coveted the chance to get extra picks in the draft. They just had to wait until minutes before their pick at No. 32, the last one of the first round late Thursday night, before the Baltimore Ravens made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

In exchange, the Eagles got the Ravens' second-round pick, at No. 52 overall. The two teams switched spots in the fourth round as the Eagles went from No. 132 to No. 125. And the Eagles got the Ravens' second-round pick in 2019.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Since the best player on the board was at a position they did not need to address the eagles got a lot of potential bang for their buck with trading down their 32nd pick.
They go a 52nd over all pick, a 4th rounder this year and a 2nd round next year.

Since they have limited cap space to pick up free agents it shown Howie is fairly satisfied with the returning line up from last seasons championship team.

·
Registered
39,301 Posts
He is Dallas Goedert. Some scouting reports have him listed as the best pass catching TE in the draft. He is 6-5/256lbs. The Eagles traded up to the 49th pick (from the 52nd) in a deal with the Colts to get him. The gave up their 2nd round pick, 52nd overall, and their 5th round pick.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I was very surprised by two of the Steelers’ picks. Edmunds was viewed as a 2nd rounder by most analysts. They tried to trade up for Evens, the ILB from Alabama, but that failed. I think that’s the main reason they traded Bryant. They wanted to use the 3rd rounder to move up in the 1st. They likely got a higher pick for him than what they would have received as a compensatory pick for losing him in free agency.

I’m disappointed that they haven’t drafted an ILB yet because it’s the biggest need by far. All four first round grade ILBs were gone by the time the Steelers drafted. The guy they likely wanted in the 2nd was taken early in the 2nd.

I like the WR they took in the 2nd, Washington. He should be the #3 receiver. The Steelers have a history of drafting WRs well.

I don’t like the selection of the QB. Roethlisberger said he wants to play three more years, so Rudolph is going to sit for that long. It’s possible Roethlisberger could change his mind and retire earlier. Landry Jones is the backup and only under contract this year, so it’s likely Rudolph will be the backup next year. He’ be #3 this year. Dobbs who they drafted in the fourth round last year, will be cut. I thought that was a bad pick last year and now looks to be a wasted pick.

I think the OT they took with their 2nd pick of the third round is a good pick. They had to replace Hubbard.

They have three picks left, pending trades. They have two 5th rounders and a late 7th. I doubt they’re going to be able to get an ILB that will help them immediately. They may well draft one, and I hope they do. I could see them drafting most any position with their remaining picks: ILB, OLB, CB, DL, RB, TE. Another S, WR, or OL is possible. The late rounders are all projects. I’m hoping that they get someone who can take over returning punts from Brown.

The Steelers often pick up a player or two cut by other teams and it’s possible they could make a late trade.

I’m not thrilled with their draft so far but the Steelers have shown over time that they know what they’re doing. It’s pretty ridiculous that the analysts provide instant draft grades for guys who haven’t played a down in the NFL yet.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
At this point, ben is the only QB capable of taking them anywhere. If he goes down, somebody has to step in and step up immidiatly, and i don't think landry jones is the guy. Not saying rudolpf will be, but nobody knew for sure ben would be either, and thats worked out rather well. Tom brady was a 6th rounder who took over after drew bledsoe went down, and bledsoe never started another game there.

I think back to the 49er's dynasty, and the seemless transition from montana to young. Or more recently, farve to rodgers in green bay. Then i think of the drought in pittsburgh after bradshaw moved on. Now is the time to develop another QB, not after ben gets hurt or retires. You cannot win without an elite QB, start the process now.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
He is Dallas Goedert. Some scouting reports have him listed as the best pass catching TE in the draft. He is 6-5/256lbs. The Eagles traded up to the 49th pick (from the 52nd) in a deal with the Colts to get him. The gave up their 2nd round pick, 52nd overall, and their 5th round pick.
Best thing about the pick, besides getting a good player, they picked the CowGirls pocket who would have snatched him up at the 51st pick to replace Jason Witten:grin2:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Most teams do not have a seamless transition at QB. Franchise QBs are hard to find. There’s only a few true franchise QBs in the league. The transition from Montana to Young took place before the salary cap era. The Patriots getting a franchise QB in the 6th round is an anomaly. I’m sure the Patriots were just looking for a backup. Bledsoe got hurt and the rest is history. Most of the best QBs are taken in the first round and early first round and unless you make a big trade, you have to be lousy to draft early. There’s an element of luck involved too. Rodgers was available to the Packers because most of the teams weren’t looking for QBs. He could have easily been taken #1 instead of Alex Smith.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eagles finally took a tight end from South Dakota St..Eagles not afraid of those Dakota boys..
I guess they settled for Wentz's target. It looked like they were going for Gesicki from PSU but he went to Mia just after the birds traded up.
Both are big and fast with great hands. If it was not for the 1st round contract deals I think they would have picked one of these two last in the first round but this saves money. Good move. Waugh!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts