The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend shot a doe this evening. He said the arrow hit solid and probably went into lungs. He shot it around 6:30 and we couldn't find it. It ran into thick stuff and the rain washed away all blood trail. We intend to go back in the morning. Will the meat be good at that time? Is there a way to tell?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Yes there is a way to tell. Temperature plays the important part of it. If it is above 50 degrees and that deer lays over night, you got a 50/50 shot at saving the deer. If it was a solid hit as you said, I would be going back tonight with help and getting it. Anything more than a few hours in temps that are not cool it will spoil. You will know the second you open it. The smell will tell. Sorry, early season hunting means you got to get it dressed, cooled down and in a refer.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think we could find the deer in the dark. Since the blood trail was washed away by the rain, we will have to start where the deer was hit and walk in expanding arcs till we come across it. There is no way to keep bearings in the dark to do the sweeps.

It's 63 degrees here now. I guess we will do the smell test when we find it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
You got a decent gps?

If so, have it show your back trail. Viola, you can walk arcs/grids and be sure you're covering the area properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts