The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be here before you know it! Who is heading up this year? I'm Going the first week in Oct. hunting at Sandy Lake Lodge in 16. Driving up with my brother for our second trip up. Lots of fun and great people.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
For those that have been there, what are your thoughts on archery hunting moose with the outfitters you went with? Did you see many within 60 yards? Any archery hunters in camp and were they successful? I would imagine late September, early October would be the best as the moose would be more receptive to calling.

Newfoundland is on my bucket list for archery moose.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
For those that have been there, what are your thoughts on archery hunting moose with the outfitters you went with? Did you see many within 60 yards? Any archery hunters in camp and were they successful? I would imagine late September, early October would be the best as the moose would be more receptive to calling.

Newfoundland is on my bucket list for archery moose.

I have been down that road with our outfitter, but really its the guides. if you are wanting to archery hunt I would make sure you book with an outfitter that caters to them. my guide wasn't real happy about my flintlock the last time when I couldn't (wouldn't) take a long shot. we do however have that cleared up for this next time:wink2:

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
I have been down that road with our outfitter, but really its the guides. if you are wanting to archery hunt I would make sure you book with an outfitter that caters to them. my guide wasn't real happy about my flintlock the last time when I couldn't (wouldn't) take a long shot. we do however have that cleared up for this next time:wink2:
That is my concern as well. I am sure most would take a archery hunter but I want to go with an outfitter than really enjoys and understands the dynamics of how archery changes the typical game and caters to the specific challenges.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
yes, and from reading the regulations, that would be archery, not crossbow. from what I saw, crossbows are not legal.

Yep, hard to believe and I thought maybe outdated info, but I just checked the regs for 2019-20 season and crossbows are not legal to hunt with in Newfoundland.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Every guide I ever talked with in Newfoundland did not like guiding bow hunters. They felt if the called a moose in to 100 yards, they did their job, it’s the hunter’s job to kill it. A guide wants to find his hunter a good bull, kill it, and be done for the week. I’ve seen a half dozen hunters carry both gun and bow....every one of them picked up the rifle when it was time to shoot. Two of them had the bull at 20-30 yards. I was hunting at a camp in 2010 when a young fella from State College killed a 6 point with his bow. The guide videoed the whole thing.

Nearly every outfitter will welcome bowhunters, as they want the bookings. If I was serious about bow hunting moose, I’d try to find an outfitter who specializes in bow hunts. I’m not aware of any, but they’re probably out there.

You would also nearly have to book the last week of September, first week of October, to capitalize on the peak of the moose rut.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
yep, and it is nothing against the guide, they will bust their butt to get a moose in front of you! but no moose = a less success number and that is what it is all about for them up there. I passed a 190 shot because of the lack of light with my open sights and as I told my guide, his job was done, he had put a moose in front of me and it was me that couldn't make it happen and I was happy with that. not him, I didn't have a moose on the ground and that was the problem.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We had a bow hunter in the lodge two years ago. He was a bow only and the guide did put a small bull in front of him which he passed on. He had a good trip and was happy with his hunt and his guide worked his butt off for him.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
No crossbows, semis ok.

Newfoundland is about 25 years behind us in their culture....not that that’s a bad thing. Things move a lot slower than they do in the US. Hockey and rum drinking are the big pastimes.

I know I always have better clothes, rain gear, optics and guns than the locals, including most guides. Many don’t carry range finders or have spotting scopes ( at least a good one). The locals hunt with old bolt action .303 Brits, .30-.30 Winchester’s, and .30-40 Krags. I haven’t seen that line up since the early 70s. The old timers drive the roads day after day looking for a moose on or near the road to kill. A guy told me, I have 3 months to find one. They view hunting differently than many here in the states, killing a moose is more about getting the meat than it is hunting for sport. Rabbit snaring is big in the winter months, again it’s about getting something to eat in the winter. Many Newfoundlanders are excellent woodsmen who compensate for there lack of gear with their skills.

If you’re hunting with anything than the most basic calibers, don’t run out of ammo. Newer caliber stuff is nowhere to be found on the island, other than in St. John’s, or possibly Corner Brook, Grand Falls, or Gander.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Hard to believe my Mom is from NF and I have relatives that worked for the forest service and I've never been there or hunted there. Mom has gone back often with my sister. I should get off my butt.
I always enjoy my time in Newfoundland. I never met anyone there that I didn’t like. Hunting moose, caribou and bear was the reason for my travels there, but only a part of my Newfoundland experiences. I made many friends on the Rock, some have even travelled here to visit and attend a Penguin game.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts