The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a successful week in Buchans, Newfoundland (area 13). I killed a bull on Tuesday at 8:30AM local time. 10 points and 30 inch spread. I'll post pics and more info when I return home. We leave today in a few hours.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Re: Newfoundland Moose Hunt

Fantastic! Looking forward to the story and pics.

We were up the week before you to area 39A and had a less than great hunt, only went 1 for 4.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts

Congratulations. That's a great area. Spent a few trips in area 13, Gaff Topsails area West of Millertown up along the tracks.
How many caribou did you see? Looking forward to that follow-up post. Have a safe trip home.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

kudu58 said:
Congratulations. That's a great area. Spent a few trips in area 13, Gaff Topsails area West of Millertown up along the tracks.
How many caribou did you see? Looking forward to that follow-up post. Have a safe trip home.

We were west of Millertown, close to Buchans. Saw 22 caribou, 8 moose, and 4 bears.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts

Wow 4 bears. Did you have a tag and shoot any of them? Was the berry crop good this year?

When I first went up there- 1999 - I hunted that area and had several days seeing over 100 caribou. They sure have declined.
Looking forward to those pics. Buchans is just a little South of where I hunted, but still, the same country.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Congratulations!! Looking forward to the pictures. My brother, a friend and I are headed up there in 2018.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Newfoundland Moose Hunt - PICS AND STORY ADD

This particular outfitter uses Argos for most of this hunts. Unfortunately, ours died Monday going in. So we road hunted all day which wasn't what I expected for plan B. The Argo was worked on Monday night. It died again going in Tuesday morning. We told our guide that we would not be road hunting again and were willing to do a reasonable amount of walking.

So, we drove down the road and walked about a mile back a logging road. My dad and I stopped at the end of the logging road while the guide continued about 100 yards further into the bog and trees. He started calling with a small electronic call.

Luck was on my side. About 10-15 minutes later, my bull walked in to about 125 yards. I was facing his direction and had a clear shot. A few feet either way and I would not have seen him. My dad was standing about 20 feet from me and had no idea what was going on because it was so thick.

One shot with the 300 Win Mag, 180 grain Nosler Partition. Again luck was on my side, I was too high in the front shoulder (he was quartering towards me), but I was high enough to sever the spine. He went down like a ton of bricks. 10 pts, 30 inch spread. A nice bull IMO for my first Newfie Moose hunt.

I brought home about 250-275 boneless meat! The freezer is full!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

awesome! congrats on the bull!

·
Registered
9,490 Posts

Nice bull! Congrats!

We didn't do very well two weeks ago, went 1 for 4 in 39A. Our hunt was so remote that there was no way to use machines except a small boat on the lake, as there were no roads of any kind for 21 air miles, which ended up working against us. All we could do was glass from several ridges where they had foot trails brushed in; it was too thick to move around the bottoms and the bulls were not responding to calls. Most of the moose we saw were 2 to 5 miles away.

Where were you hunting (zone / area) ?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I forgot to answer this...Kudu58, we did not have bear tags. The bears we saw were a lone bear at about 500 yards running. It looked huge even at that distance. We saw a sow with 2 cubs at probably a mile away.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
We lost 2 Argos in ten years of hunting in Newfoundland. Both times it was the gearbox. That is the weak link in an Argo. One machine was left in the back country, my guide and I went after my 2 buddies and their guide. We got back to camp at 1:30 am. The other gearbox went out on our way out...guide, 2 hunters, and two moose. The oil caught on fire the last mile, and we limped onto the trailer. The Argo never moved after that.
Had more flat tires than I can count. A couple of snapped axle shafts and a burned up starter motor. After ten weeks of hunting ,I had a good working knowledge of Argo repair and maintenance. Those machines took a beating.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bigbrownie said:
We lost 2 Argos in ten years of hunting in Newfoundland. Both times it was the gearbox. That is the weak link in an Argo. One machine was left in the back country, my guide and I went after my 2 buddies and their guide. We got back to camp at 1:30 am. The other gearbox went out on our way out...guide, 2 hunters, and two moose. The oil caught on fire the last mile, and we limped onto the trailer. The Argo never moved after that.
Had more flat tires than I can count. A couple of snapped axle shafts and a burned up starter motor. After ten weeks of hunting ,I had a good working knowledge of Argo repair and maintenance. Those machines took a beating.
They are amazing machines. It was impressive watching our guide run over small trees, drive through bogs, etc. I'm just glad ours died within a few hundred feet of the trailer. Frustrating because it was first thing in the morning, but thankful because it wasn't miles back in. Besides, hiking allowed me to find my bull!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

loridr said:

We were up the week before you to area 39A and had a less than great hunt, only went 1 for 4.
Did the weather affect your hunt? It was very windy for 4 days and very warm for 3 days.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

loridr said:
Nice bull! Congrats!

We didn't do very well two weeks ago, went 1 for 4 in 39A. Our hunt was so remote that there was no way to use machines except a small boat on the lake, as there were no roads of any kind for 21 air miles, which ended up working against us. All we could do was glass from several ridges where they had foot trails brushed in; it was too thick to move around the bottoms and the bulls were not responding to calls. Most of the moose we saw were 2 to 5 miles away.

Where were you hunting (zone / area) ?
Area 13 near Buchans (Central Newfoundland) on Route 370.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts

mike76er said:
loridr said:

Did the weather affect your hunt? It was very windy for 4 days and very warm for 3 days.
There were a number of factors that effected the hunt in our Opinion. We lost a full day getting in due to fog which cut the hunt to 5 days. The weather was less than idea with fog the first hunting morning, then 2 1/2 days of good weather although a bit warm for moose (mid 50's), then high winds the last two days.

As I said above, we were really limited to hunting hunting within a few miles of camp due to impenetrable cover; there was no option other than to glass and call from the several accessible ridges close to camp, the bulls were not really rutting yet, and therefore not responding well to calls.

The last thing we were all convinced of was that the previous week they had killed three young bulls in the bottoms we were watching, and since all meat had to be packed out on foot there had been quite a bit of commotion going on that pushed the moose out a few miles. Most of the moose we saw were out the valleys another mile and a half to three miles and were essentially unreachable. We are all getting older (me 64, Dave 65, Larry 74 and George 75) and Dave was the only one of us still physically capable, and who had a guide that was willing to, fight their way out to where the moose were, and they killed a young bull and saw 15 more in the day and a half it took to pack out the meat.

The other guides were unwilling to go out that far, and in all fairness, I was the only other hunter that could have made it out there and it would have been extremely difficult for me.

We still had a good time though; you only get into country that wild a few times in your life and that in itself is worth it. We also enjoy camp life and each others company even if the hunting is slow. The northern peninsula of NF is incredibly beautiful.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts