The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pup hes 10 months old I never ran him with any other beagles, I spent time with him out in the field one on one, but I would like to run him with another dog to see how he does, I am off all week anyone interested in helping out a newer pup and a first time owner please shoot me a pm

·
Registered
25,155 Posts
Is your pup finding rabbits on his own and running them? Has he been shot over yet. These are some of the things you take into consideration before hunting with others.
During the off season it is less important and more about training.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he has found rabbits on his own and runs them somewhat, and yes I have shot over him with a 22 mag pistol, didn't even care that the gun went off and he was 10 feet away, if anyone wants to run with him, it doesn't have to be hunting, just runnin

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
midvalleyBeagler said:
b careful who u run with also. sometimes pups pick up bad habits from the older dogs.
I never hunted or ran beagles before, I couldn't tell you whats bad habits or right?????

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
B292...sent you a PM.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I have been running them for awhile so for me I'll always take 2 over 1 and 3 over 2 and so on. That being said though, if you have never owned a beagle before and are planning on getting a pup I would probebly start with one. It will take quite a bit of time in the field getting your pup up to speed and keeping him in "playing form". Since you're new to it I would think focusing on one would be the best bet. If it's going to be an outside dog and you want to jump into it you can do as some others have done and get an adult dog that has already been trained. beaglesforsaleonline.com has quite a few listed at any given time. This will get you used to running beagles and the work it takes before getting a pup to train on your own. If you do this you may be able to find a pair of trained beagles as well. If you buy a trained dog be certain you run it with the owner first. Sometimes people will try and get rid of adult dogs who don't run quite the way they want them to and you'll end up with junk dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts