The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I went out and did some early morning scouting at a local game land this morning. I did not hear anything turkey wise, but I am thinking maybe it is due to it still being early still in the season and still being cold?

I found a couple different types of areas in the game lands: one being full of thick brush and timber, one consisting of mostly boulders and lots of tall trees, and the last being some small open fields surrounded by thick trees and brush.

I was wondering which of these areas would be best to really hone in on for my set up as I continue to scout?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
small open fields but if you are on gamelands be ready for company.

Also Birds are gobbling now, and I have seen them strutting. They may not have been this morning due to cold or whatever but they are gobbling.Do not under any circumstance call them right now. Not only are you not allowed to call pre-season but you will mess up your entire hunt.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
As said above, small the small fields/opening are where I would start. And there is no law stating that you can't call before the season. It's not illegal at all. That's one of the more rediculous things I've heard. And you won't mess anything up either, unless you call them in and spook them. And that might not even affect them. Still, there's always a chance of that happening, so calling practice is best saved for when you're not in he turkey woods.

·
Registered
18,720 Posts
Turkeys are gobbling good now at first light, if you were there at daybreak and didn't hear any birds I would continue looking elsewhere amd maybe check back in a few weeks to see if anything has changed.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I do not have much for you in the way of advice because I'm not familiar with the area that you speak of, and I hesitate to speak in generalities, especially with respect to turkeys.

But I would like to add my $0.02 to the advice directly above.

Do not discount this spot completely because you did not hear gobbling this morning. Throughout the state flocks can be in various stages of their cycle. Also, you are in Bucks County and the behavior of the birds in the area are not necessarily typical of many areas of the state.

Also, it is possible that the birds are not roosted in that area but could make their way to that area later in the morning or what have you.

Some research suggests that turkeys can have up to a 2,000 acre "home range" and may travel upwards of 5 miles in a given day. Now, granted that amount of travel is far more likely in the fall season when the turkeys are focused on food as opposed to hens, but still... keep in mind that just because they aren't there at first light, doesn't mean they won't be. I have killed a turkey that started his day on a completely different mountain and not even a peep of a gobble was heard that day until he was 50 yards from the gun.

Good luck and keep your eyes and ears open. Turkey hunting in your area can be like hunting bigfoot sometimes.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
dpms said:
Turkeys are gobbling good now at first light, if you were there at daybreak and didn't hear any birds I would continue looking elsewhere amd maybe check back in a few weeks to see if anything has changed.
Agree with this!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
You didnt say if you saw any fresh sign. Fresh tracks droppings and scratching and a few feathers tell you the birds are nearby even if they didn't talk. York county was breezy this morning and a cold front blew in. Wouldnt be surprised if birds werent talking good this morning. Find the sign and go from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was checking out sgl 157 today. I am thinking of checking out nockamixon too obviously. Any other good spots nearby? not asking specific locations in the area but just any game lands or parks where people have been successful to get me started

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Check around clearcuts that are a few years old, that's where the hens will be nesting. Where there's hens the gobblers will be there also. Also check on the points of the mountains, gobblers like roosting there. If you can find powerlines or gaslines check those out as well. Go out before daylight and wait for the day to wake up they'll be gobbling then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks. I went in before sunrise today but the spot I started at seemed kind of crappy and when I had found some better spots it was already like 8 am. I am going to go back and check them out first thing next time

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
great white hunter said:
dpms said:
Agree with this!
For some reason (maybe the cold) the birds on this side of the state have been very, very slow this year. I've been out and not hearing much at all (am hearing some). I drove around Saturday morning along the base of the mountain and glassed all the fields....not one bird.

Ryan, keep scouting. There are birds in that area. I talked to a woman at work who lives near there. She always tells me about the turkeys around her place. She said she hasn't seen them this year yet. Try to find some private land though. 157 and Nockomixen get hammered.

·
Registered
475 Posts
scouting is not only listening . look for sign also .i've never hunted in western ,pa , but around here i've seldom heard birds going crazy gobblin.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hunting gamelands in Bucks county;good luck with that.And, wear orange when walking to be safe.If its anything like I remember,a bullet proof vest would be good too,lol.Get as far from the parking areas as possible.any gobbler going off within a 1/4 -1/2 mile of parking areas will have a "flock" of hunters going after him

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok yeah i definitely will. there are some nice small open fields around the entrance area of one of the parking area(One of them is a NWTF project I believe), but I figure I will try my hand at looking for some areas deep in the wooded areas just due to the overcrowding that will come with those areas during hunting season. Thanks for the safety tips- I wore orange all over haha, but I was surprised...no other cars at any of the parking areas, but I guess since it was an early Tuesday morning on a weekday out of season that might not be too unusual. I think I will just continue checking deeper and deeper into the woods as it gets warmer and check out nockamixon too. I was kind of disappointed...thought at least I would see some feathers or scat, but maybe I just wasn't looking in the rights spots yet...

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Early green up will dictate food sources now until the insects really come out in force. Look for any spring seeps and if they are a southern exposure of a ridge even better. Those spots will green up early and draw in the birds. As farmers begin tilling and spreading manure those spots will also be magnets. Unless you can find leftover mast from previous fall or waste grain in a picked field, food can be pretty scarce for turkeys till things start greening up. If you can't find the birds yet, keep looking other places.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts