The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the wind is howling and temps are dropping….. I thought I’d throw out a few rookie thoughts and observations. As I said, I'm pretty much a newbie and tend to not post all that much. Reading some recent posts, I thought I’d chime in…

I started with a few hand calls, then made my own e-caller – twice
In the first year or so, I called in a few and saw a few - but no kills. Last summer I got a Wildfire II and my son and I really started trying harder at this stuff. In November we got our first few kills (and misses!). A nice gray was our first kill. It does seem to me that the hunting has gotten much harder in the past few weeks. I’m 100% sure its NOT my Foxpro or other calls - rather my lack of experience and the need to make some changes. We’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way – hopefully learning each time!

It seems to me that tactics have to change as the winter sets in. I think this is true for several reasons – but mostly that many animals have been killed or are now educated. I got eyes or actually saw fox at many sets throughout November and then again before Xmas. Then things got tough. I now have to pay much more attention to every detail and there are many more issues to overcome. Like crunchy snow or even setting up in the snow is different - for that matter. It seems that I need to pay more attention to hiding spots, set ups, how I hold the light – everything…. Fairly different than a few months ago.

The wind now seems more critical than ever and with winter storms, its more unpredictable. I also realized that I have probably been hunting the same spots too often. I kind of thought it would get easier when there was snow and the food was scarcer – but no go – at least not for me. I also used to primarily hunt starting at dusk - going for a few hours and was able to at least see eyes most nights. Now I have to go later or start early in the morning to see anything – dusk has not been very productive – I’m not sure what changed. Again – thought that the predators would be moving more often – but that doesnt seem to be true.

Everything for us has been fox, we’ve had no success at coyotes – none – though I know they’re in the area. I’ve called and / or killed fox using a number of calls – my go to calls have been: field mouse, kitten distress (worked great around farms), gray fox distress, bay bee cottontail, and red bird. These calls have brought little to no success for me in the past 3 weeks. May be that I’m over using them and over hunting? I’ve have no luck with coyote challenge, etc… and hesitate to use it at all.

I’m not even close to being discouraged – actually, the opposite. Hunting eastern predators is about as challenging as any hunting that I’ve done throughout the U.S. I especially love the time with my son (13 yrs old). We look forward to each trip out. Well… Just some rambling thoughts……

·
Registered
243 Posts
Best advice is to keep after them, when I started hunting I went a whole winter without killing anything except time. It took me 2 years to kill my first coyote and I wasn't even hunting when I shot it. Try to gain as much permission to hunt as you possibly can. Most people don't realize they have coyotes and foxes running on there property so permission is usually pretty easy to get. I've had my best luck right before dark to half hour after dark, and from 11 or so to around 2. With people educating the predators and people trapping, numbers are down from the early season and the ones that survived aren't dumb, try to give them something they haven't heard like guinea pig squeals, jack ribbit distress or just take a hand call and play something crazy. Good luck the rest of the season and cherish every moment you spend with your son, my 4 year old daughter loves walking in the woods to check trail cameras, maybe in a few years she will be hooked on hunting like I am.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts