The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im a newbie to the pursuit of trapping. My father and uncle used to do it in the 70's but no longer now. I tried it years ago when i was a teen but no sucess.I would like to get back into it and introduce my two children to it. I will probably have many questions so bear with me please.
What does everyone do to cull the animal? Club or .22? and how do people tan and sell there furs? I know i probably will never have enough to sell but my kids love the pelts. Also any beginer tips or info will be greatly appriciated,ex. sets,lures,location.. I just ordered 6 duke dog proof traps and 4 duke #3's. I also have 9 older Victor 1 1/2's, I cant wait to try them out. Thanks for your time

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
To dispatch, i use a 22...

If i want something tanned i send direct to a tannery...if i sell it is to local buyers...either skinned or put up(fleshed, stretched, dried). I can now put up everything i will catch so all my fur will be put up now...worth a little.more but.more tools and work and time...

Can also send put up fur NAFA of FHA auctions which is typically the best way to.see.top dollar...

Good luck!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mauser,are you taking head shots? would .22 shorts be ok? only asking b/c there a little quieter than a 22 long rifle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts