The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new crossbow owner, just a couple questions for those who have been at it for a while. First, what is the best way to store a crossbow? Hang it, lay it down or something else? Secondly, and one of my bigger things I am wondering about, how do you "bore sight" or line up the scope for the first attempt at sighting in? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
i would lay a pen type laser pointer on the rail aim it at a wall at 20 yards and adjust the scope accordingly. let me know if this works its just an idea.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have no idea if my response is "the" response--it is what I do.

My vertical bows always hung, long, recurve and compound. My crossbow lives in a traveling case since I use it both at home and at the cabin. It is now in the case in the basement (dry) at the cabin. If it weren't in the case it would be hung by the stirrup.

Regarding sighting in---I simply began at a close enough target that it wasn't a big issue--probably no more than 15 yards. Not unlike what we often did with rifles before sighting aids.

If you are on the target at that range move it to 20 and start to tune it in. I'm set up for 20 and 30 and 40 yards--but that is only for practice.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Sight in at 10 or 15 yards first. Be sure to remembeer that it takes 16 clicks of the scope to move an inch at 20 yards on most crossbow scopes. Keep moving back and dialing it in.
The foot stirrup makes a good hanger.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm excited about HHA having come out with the Optimizer Speed Dial for Crossbows, the use and sighting in of scopes has dramatically changed with this device. I'm waiting for mine right now and intend to mount a 1.5-6x single reticle 44mm wide angle scope on my Strykeforce. Having used Sight Master and HHA mounts on compounds for many years this is a real plus in my opinion for all types of crossbows regardless of arrow speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts