The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a flintlock rifle. Never shot a muzzleloader before, but have been eyeing them up for a couple of years now. Looking for recommendations on a good quality rifle. thanks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
They are all good. I am kinda' partial to the really long ones though, with swamped barrels, just the righ cast-off in the stock, and put together by my own hands.... If you are just starting out, I think you will be fine with any flinter on the market.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'd like to stay with an American brand, and I would prefer woood over synthetic. Does that leave T/C as the only choice? Have been looking at their site, looks like a Firestorm or Hawken?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thumbs up for buying American!! I'd have to do research to figure out what's really made where though. As for the Firestorm...well, I am too traditional I guess. Fancy breech designs and pellets, and powder other than Goex...well, I'd say try for a regular TC Hawken.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
i disagree, tc is nice and all, but the price they charge for their hawken rifles brand new is not worth it. You could buy a brand new rifle today and the next day, be lucky if you got HALF that back.

Check out the Lyman great plains rifle or the trade rifle, they are just as good, if not better. Also the CVA Mountain Rifles were pretty good too!

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
If you are starting out,get a production gun and learn the basics.Go with quality either Lyman or an older Thompson Center.If you decide to give it up,they are an easy to resell.Most places carry supplies for 50cal so go with that.New guns are WAY up in price right now.TC in the $500-$600 range.Used TC run about $300-$350 and some good one were on here.If you look for used heres a couple tips.
Check the crown(end of the muzzle)and check for any nicks.When the ball leaves the barrel it will pull to that side.
Run your fingers over each of the flats on the barrel checking for any slight bumps indicating a ringed barrel from shooting without the projectile down the whole way on the charge.
Cracks in the stock from overcharging.
I am warning you that once the Blackpowder Bug bite,its very habit forming!
I would agree that a Lyman Deerstalker is an EXCELLENT gun to start with!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Uplander,go the gunbroker.com and get on their muzzleloader section..You can get an excellent TC or lyman used at 1/3 of new price...

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Also you do not need an FFL to buy it...The Seller will ship it direct to your house..Be sure to get a receipt from the Seller...

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Forgot to add to check the ser# on TC.If it starts with the letter "K" it was a kit gun.Nothing wrong with them,just someone put it together and not at the factory.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the knowledge
I was searching gunbroker but I wanted some background before pulling the trigger on one

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Lots of good recomendations here for you. However, have you read anyting on flintlocks and do you have a good understanding of how they work and what accoutraments you will need? Before you buy a rifle, I would reccomend that you read just about anything from Sam Fedalla on flinters. Dr. Fedalla is a very down to earth guy who presents the facts relative to BP and ML shooting and will form a great basis of understanding on the sport. He goes into a everything from safety to RB distortion tests and performance of a wide range of guns. Best of luck. I love traditional ML shooting, to me it's the best.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jimsdad, thanks I'll look for some tomorrow. I'm a die hard bowhunter, but I think the flinter will be a nice addition and it will give me more woods time, when most are indoors. saw a neat program on PCN last eve on Pa muzzleloaders.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
I saw that as well and it's just in time as I ordered an early York kit from Jim Chambers on Friday. These days, I don't do much centerfire rifle stuff. A year or so ago I fell hard for recurve bows and that takes up a lot of my shooting time. However, I have a very deep interest in ML history, shooting and hunting. Not ML shotcguns though! Have you been to Dixon's in Kempton?

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I gave up bowhunting years ago for the muzzy.Just a warning!

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't. It came up while I was doing a search for the place on Rte 611 in Ottsville shop. Worth visiting?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts