·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody recomend salmon fishing guides in the Newaygo or Baldwin Mi. area

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
If you are looking for salmon runs, I'd skip Newaygo and head to Baldwin without question. The Pere Marquette is one of the best, (some will argue the best) in the great lakes. All fish are wild/strays and numbers are fantastic. The great lakes salmonoid fishery began in the PM if yer a history geek. Within a half hour or so you've got the Little & Big Manistee, Bestie, White, Pine rivers.. although the PM can take up a weeks time.

The Muskegon river in Newaygo isn't too far away. It does get salmon runs but is not surrounded by the outstanding rivers in the Baldwin area. Newaygo is more of a modern town and there's not much to do in Baldwin, but fish.

I have stayed at Baldwin Creek Lodge (http://www.baldwincreeklodge.com/trips.htm).. Mike is a nice guy, knows his stuff. A little cocky I suppose. His place is nice and cozy, right on the baldwin river. Not superb accomandations.. just a lodge for fisherman. Cheap.

Betts Guide Service has got a great reputation for the area. They fish the Muskegon and PM as well.. everyone I've had talked to recommended them. I have never talked with them.

I've got a few names of guides that you may want to stay away from. I can explain in PM if you feel its necessary.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
GReat info Hightine. I will be going with Buckweat on this trip if we decide to go for it.!
Can you send me or him a PM with that other info.
Thanks for the input !!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
OH, forgot to ask, when did you go there Hightine ? spring or fall run ?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I was there in fall. I've always wanted to go for the spring manistee run on the PM but it's hard to justify passing up Ohio's manistee to drive 6 more hours.

I actually spend most of my time in southwest Michigan/Northwest Indiana for the summer steelhead run. Sometimes we hit up the PM and surrounding area while out there. The PM gets a few fish in August and the little manistee gets a July run of kings.

I'll send you a PM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts