The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just throwing this out to see what the mods (and everyone else's) thoughts are on this.

As of late, we've had quite a few guy coming here and basically starting the same topic. "Hey, I'm new, please help me out." Many times these topics turn into a bit of a fiasco.

Seems to me that it would be helpful to have a default thread to point them to that would give them some help getting started and also lay some ground-rules for the kinds of questions that are OK to ask around here.

I know it will take some time to pull that kind of a thread together & I'd be more than happy to do it. I was a new guy not too long ago & don't mind paying it forward for all the help guys have given me over the years.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Will watching duck dynasty as a requirment be mentioned or is it a given?

I can't help with input, judging my kills this season i obviously must stink.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DTaylor said:
Will watching duck dynasty as a requirment be mentioned or is it a given?
I know you're on the Fuge too...a lot of those guys are crying the blues about how many new duck hunters they have in their areas because of The Bearded Ones

DTaylor said:
I can't help with input, judging my kills this season i obviously must stink.
We all know that's not the case...just because none of us are really setting the world on fire this year, doesn't mean you don't have the knowledge to do so.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'll gladly offer up my advice to get somebody started, I always do.

I've read the guy's posts on a couple forums, I could practically see the tears falling as they typed. But, if I had an iflux of people like that, I'd be jacked.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
That's a great idea jguns. It would be nice to steer the newbie in the right direction and would also eliminate those annoying 1st post questions. It happens on all forums and nobody likes it.

Wouldn't it be great if the PGC could offer some "Newbie Info" at both Middle Creek and Pymie. The Visitors Center could offer a video on getting started or even a course a couple times a year. Be the perfect setting for learning about Waterfowl hunting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As one of the "newbies" who most likely raised this topic, I think it's a great idea. I'm sure the first posts do get annoying but I just wanted to introduce myself instead of purely spectating as I have for so long.

I guess it's just hard to hop in on some of the other threads when you're green due to very limited knowledge and experience, so a newbie section might be a great way for us beginners to get involved without clogging things up while still getting some advice for any of the more specific questions that aren't already covered.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I also agree that I'm one of the newbs that may have brought up this topic. To my defense I don't watch duck dynasty. Along with Aaronk I watched this forum and many others for quite sometime before deciding on Registering to HPA because of how friendly everyone seemed. A section just for newbies and those of you guys who would like to give advice instead of bashing us for wanting to learn a hobby and awesome past time would be great. I'm a big fisherman not a newbie at that. Decided one day to get into guns love the outdoors put two and two together and figured I'd give it a try. Everyone has to start somewhere not everyone comes from a hunting family or lives in an area where hunting is a given. Although I'm sure this starting out question may get annoying everyone once was that newbie looking for some advice. I apologize for my newbie post that may have gotten on some of the veterans nerves. Also I'm looking to get into hunting as a whole not just ducks and waterfowl just saying

·
Banned
208 Posts
First of all, asking questions about getting started into waterfowling ( ie. habitat, decoy set-ups, calling techniques, concealment, and all other aspects of the sport), is much different than coming on here saying your from Philly and looking for a place to hunt ducks. You got what you deserved for such a post.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rig I agree. New to forums new too hunting a little busting balls never hurt. Lesson learned on how to word things. I don't know the first thing about waterfowling or hunting I can't ask specific questions. I don't want no ones spots or expect anything like that. I have respect for the guys who put their time in and I intend to do so as well. I worded a question wrong. I was asking is there spots like game lands like is hunting waterfowl in pa kind of like deer with designated areas. Like I said I'm not hurt that I got my balls bust and one day I'm sure ill bust a newbies balls just like you busted mine. Dumb questions get dumb answers. If you look I reworded and edited that post. And now lesson learned. Everyone's gotta start somewhere just like you did. There's no thread for ways to ask questions how to word things whats frowned upon things of that nature. There's no FNG handbook when registering to the forum. I registered to HPA looking for general hunting advice to get into hunting. Like I said lesson learned and I apologize for any annoyance I caused by being a "newbie"

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RIGG-A-MORTIS said:
First of all, asking questions about getting started into waterfowling ( ie. habitat, decoy set-ups, calling techniques, concealment, and all other aspects of the sport), is much different than coming on here saying your from Philly and looking for a place to hunt ducks. You got what you deserved for such a post.
Exactly what I'm talking about. I'm a member of a lot of other forums (not just hunting) & I've NEVER seen a forum where new guys get chastised for asking typical new guy questions.

Assuming cork is who he says he is, he's the kind of guy we should be willing to help out. At a time when hunting numbers are mostly on the decline, we should really think about trying to help them instead of pummeling them. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just drive around, that's how you kill birds. Your not going to kill anything asking people on here. Buy yourself a dozen hot buy duck decoys, rig em up with weight and string. Proceed to drive around to find ducks, ask permission. If permission is granted, get there early next day, throw decoys out and wait. That's it in a nutshell. You will learn a lot observing ducks with reaction to wind and temp.

Goose on other hand is lot more expensive. Gonna need to drop coin for dekes and blind and calls.

·
Banned
208 Posts
First of all cork, youve proven yourself one heck of a thick skinned, persistent, determinated, and patient guy for the ball busting you put up with. That right there is the fundamentals of waterfowling, and hunting in general. Beararch obviously must have grown up central pa, or an area where private spots, and birds are much more available.There's nothing worse watching a guy, who would've followed thoes instructions, skybust birds and send cripples with no means of picking em up. Do you have a kayak, canoe, Jon boat ? That's a major necessity, not only for success, but for being an ethical hunter and retrieving your birds.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've already decided I'm going to go ahead & write a newbie thread that should be all encompassing. I'll post it, take suggestions, clean it up & if the mods want they can sticky it. If not, I'll bump it every day!!!

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Cork,
Don't mind these guys! They're just grumpy cause there's no birds around!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Try not to set up with the sun in your face.

Never pee against the wind.

When you do go, make sure you hold your waders down or else the last little bit will drip inside.

·
Registered
732 Posts
RIGG-A-MORTIS said:
First of all cork, youve proven yourself one heck of a thick skinned, persistent, determinated, and patient guy for the ball busting you put up with. That right there is the fundamentals of waterfowling, and hunting in general. Beararch obviously must have grown up central pa, or an area where private spots, and birds are much more available.There's nothing worse watching a guy, who would've followed thoes instructions, skybust birds and send cripples with no means of picking em up. Do you have a kayak, canoe, Jon boat ? That's a major necessity, not only for success, but for being an ethical hunter and retrieving your birds.
Yes cork on that you will obviously need a boat or a dog if it's big water. This is for anything you can wade

·
Registered
212 Posts
Being a new guy I knew there would be some ball busting. No hard feelings. I do have a kayak. But am looking into a Jon boat ill get alot of use out of it being a big fisherman also so it will be a good investment if I really learn and get into waterfowl. And I plan on getting a dog also not just because hunting being I just got my own place. And will give me a friend to take hunting since 98% of the time ill be going alone since non of my buddies hunt hahaha

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
jguns, here's a couple of ideas to consider adding to your new guy post.
Selecting a Shotgun, this is always a hot topic. This link covers a lot.
Selecting A Shotgun

Another good link for decoy placement, etc.
Duck Hunting Tips

When deciding which shell to use it helps to know the pellet count.
Average Pellet Count

This pic helps you know how many pellets are needed to kill any Waterfowl, plus choke tube selection.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Jgunns, I am thinking you are onto something with this.
Maybe a section on duck identification. There was a post a little while back that had fold up color pictures of ducks by region.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts