The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford,Chevy,and Dodge is gonna go to war with new 6 cyl 4x4,s.The Dodge is gonna have a Eco-Diesel option.The milage reports for the diesel aren,t no better than the gas Fords and Chevys sixes but the diesel will be a $2500 option.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Please supply a link to back up your opinion......

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
By offering a diesel engine in its 2014 Ram 1500 pickup, Chrysler becomes the first OEM to bring <span style="font-weight: bold">30-mpg</span> (7.8 L/100 km) potential to the light-duty side of the U.S. full-size truck segment. The much-anticipated product action also will help move Chrysler’s fleet fuel efficiency closer to the 35.4-mpg (6.6 L/100 km) combined truck/car average required by U.S. CAFE standards for 2017.

www.sae.org/mags/aei/11832/‎

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seen it on Yahoo news and it posted them all at 24 mpg give or take a mpg.It said nothing close to 30mpg.Maybe my read wasn,t correct but it was a V6 Diesel.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The article I posted ( I see the link didn't work ?) But it was from earlier this year. Also, I looked at a few other articles, including one from Dodge, and none gave the est fuel mileage, they all gave guesses, so I am not saying it gets 30mpg.
Guess we will have to wait and see when they come out, or until we find something from Dodge with there estimated mpg for it.
I do believe it shows that the diesel is a tool that they are looking at to increase there fleet average, which says something.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I've been arguing for a 1/2 ton diesel for years. Even a small truck with a little diesel in it could be great for most things. If we'd get over our HP and MPH thing here in America we could have trucks getting over 30mpg pretty easily. I'm guilty of it too, driving a 300+ HP machine back and forth to work.

·
Registered
253 Posts
They are going to put that little diesel in the up coming wranglers as well. I wouldn't mind a wrangler pushing over 250hp and close to 400 lbs/ft.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They put a Mercedes diesel in the first gen Liberty for a year.It ran great but the fuel economy was poor for and it cost a small fortune.I wouldn,t mind checkin out the Chevy Cruz with the diesel.The Ford Ranger is still being built with a diesel option overseas.That should be pretty economical to run.I had a Chevy Chevette in the early eighties and they made a diesel and think I only came across one of them ever in a diesel.That would be neat to find today.I think that one was called a Scooter.I even think the early Chevy S-10,s had a diesel option.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I could go back in time I would buy one of those VW Pickups in a diesel.They would run forever and get a zillion miles to the gallon.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
"Diesel engines will be outdated sooner than later and the conversions I have spoken of earlier are goin on as we speak.Waste Management has been converting it,s fleets over and will be all converted before long.I,ve farmed with gas and with diesels on big acreage and myself perfer gas.The pure diesel engine in any form will be history and will be phased out in the not to distant future."

The above is a quote from Goodolboy, just guessing that aint looking like it's gonna happen any time soon.....

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I knew you were gonna bring that up.
I still believe with this big natural gas glut and if fuel prices continue to remain high(crude has just gone up again)natural gas will phase out a lot of diesels.What is helping diesels a lot now is the bio-blends.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The new Dodge Outdoorsman V6 looks like a nice rig.Don,t know what the pricing is though.I,ll have to check cause now I,m curious.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Buddy of mine has a 2011 Dodge 1500 crew, fully loaded. He got the Ram Boxes on it, they are nice when we hunt . He built his own holders which hold our shotguns and ammo in each side.
Although I am more of a Chevy guy, I will admit that his truck is nice. Dodge puts a lot of creature comforts in their trucks. The only thing I don't care for are the headrest on the front leather seats, but overall a nice truck. He has close to 50,000 miles on it, and other than having to do brakes and rotors, and a minor electrical problem, he has had no other issues. It has been a good truck for him, and he plans to replace it with the same truck. He may hold off to see what this new V6 diesel is going to be.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Motor Week gave the base v-6 in the new Grand Cherokee W/ 8 speed trans a good review. 'Pleanty of pep' and good MPG.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Buzz,
I will be a long time dead when they phase out the Cummings Diesel Engines. No matter what Goodolboy tells
you.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
...yep..Me to..diesels are here for the long haul..

Sadly, the engine that will disappear sooner is the big block gas engine, as the new EPA fuel mileage requirements make those engines a tuff fit for the manufactures. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the big block gas will go away next year, as long as they can make the diesels get better mileage and keep there overall "fleet" average where the Guv't wants it, the big block will survive, but....the day is coming.......

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I seen a Dodge P/Up goin to a well site and it had writing on the rear bed side that said Powered by natural gas.The garbage trucks diesels used to stink up a storm when they pulled a hill around here.Now that they are converted to NG they fly up the hill with a lot less noise and no engine exhaust stink.The diesels that you all are used to are goin thru major upgrades and will be way different than what they were which will be for the better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts