The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reading the new muzzleloader mag they have a article on missouri bullet co they say .487 and are almost 100percent per lead has anybody else ever heard of themor even tried them

·
Registered
731 Posts
I was wondering the same thing....round is round, and pure lead is pure lead

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I agree with mccoy. Lead is lead and round is round. Can't change much too much that has been around for hundreds of years

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay i guess the ? iam asking has anybody used them and how do they shoot with it being a .487 and not a .490

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have always found a .495 ball with 18thou. patch to be more accurate than the .490 so the .487 is kinda heading the wrong way.

A tighter ball and patch combo is almost always more accurate.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
doesn't also depend on how deep the rifling is in the barrel? My Lyman has fairly deep rifling and it is pritty tight with a .490 ball and 18thou blue pillow ticking and pritty darn accurate for how small the barrel is

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
Depending on the groove depth and land width, some times a slightly smaller ball does better. At 25 yds offhand, whether you shoot a 487 vs 490 vs 495 really matters very little for 99 % of shooters. Some rifling is a little "tighter" than other and it may be easier to use a smaller ball, or thinner patch. In my shooting, the target pretty much has to be 75 yds or more, before the patch ball combo makes a significant difference.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
All depends on how the bore is cut on the barrel.I have a 36 cal that likes a .360 ball and a .010 patch and one of my 45's likes a .451 ball and a .015 patch.I have tried .455 in this one and its not too tight.Just another varible to try in the never ending quest for accuracy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts