The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recent decision to choose a TVM kit appears to have been a wise one. The kit arrived this morning and is similar to the type of "kit" TOTW sells. It has the barrel inlet 95%, and needs the breech plug and tang shortened and inlet. The ramrod is inlet by routing the barrel channel, and may need some inletting in the lock region.

The stock is roughly outlined. All remaining steps will be mine to enjoy!

If you are in the market for an affordable kit, I can recommend Matt and Toni Avance at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, Inc.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will, indeed, enjoy! It is for my grandson for his HS graduation gift. He's my special hunting buddy, and has the added pressure of being the last twig on our family's, family tree!

He graduates in 2012, but this rifle will be presented for Christmas 2011, so he can use it for the Flintlock Season. His birthday is in February, so this long gun will cover three special events.

My eyes tell me that this will be my final build, and the hours ahead will truly be, a labor of love.

The rifle will have a late Lancaster Co. profile. It will have brass furniture, a 42", .50 cal., straight GM barrel, Siler lock, and Davis double set triggers. If I add an appropriate Lancaster Co. patch box, I'll have Greg Dixon do the engraving.

We all hope that we have implanted something meaningful of ourselves in those we love which carries on beyond our time here. I hope my love of America's Revolutionary history and the weapons and accoutrements that brought us Freedom, have a lasting impact on those in my family to follow.

If you haven't, I suggest you take the time to build one of these fine old rifles patterned after the likes of Beck, Beyer, Dickert, Verner, Bonewitz, Reedy, Sell, etc. They won't mind if your representation of their work isn't perfect, mine never are! And,you'll never regret the effort involved!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
brubincam said:
I've got a TVM flinter had it for three years and is still unfired
That's just not right. I got a Leman from Matt and Toni last summer. I'm enjoying it very much. Good luck with it berks, one of these days I'm gonna take the plunge.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I agree, I will be hopefully be getting the call from cabincreek withen the next week or so telling me that my new flinter is finished. I will be leaving the shop and going straight to the range.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
One fine gift your Grandson's HS graduation gift indeed!!

Look fwd to hearing of this endeavor's progress!!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
brubincam, trust me, he won't. At 16, his major interest seem to drift well beyond this forum.

However, back to you. A new, unfired flintlock requires attention. You must release the stored energy in this rifle before you and the rifle can connect physically. A flintlock isn't a pedestrian centerfire which accepts practically any and all cartridges, and throws them 200 yards down range in small groups.

A flintlock needs long sessions of range time before settling on that special combination of powder, patch, and ball. Once achieved, you and your flintlock become ONE! You now have the confidence required that your rifle and you can make meat, if the animal is within range and positioned for a killing, double lung shot.

This understanding alone separates you from the crowd. Hunting Pennsylvania's premier big game animal with a flintlock connects you to our State's long distant past. Enjoy the experience!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Pics I say---I wanna see pics!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll work on the picture thing, Bunky, but right now all I have is a fine looking 42" straight Green Mountain .50 cal barrel with a breech plug; a nicely figured, but clunky maple stock; and, a bag full of all the other stuff that attaches to the barrel and stock to turn it into a flintlock.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
yup it will be cool to see the picts as you work on the gun. I will have picts soon, picking up mine from Brad tommorrow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts