The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got the bug to get back into BP pistol so I was lucky to find this one on gunsamerica set be back to 365.00 99 percent original.The ruger made in 1976 today was stripped and I can't see 99 percent more like mint.The gun was fired back when purchased cleaned and stored.The gun came with the original box and papers.I use to shoot a 1858 rem: and a [email protected] back in the 70's .I seem to forgot a lot of things how to load and fire but I am sure it will all come back to me.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
I really like my ROA. I kill alot of chucks with it. I found that a round ball works best, but tinkering around, I found a 456 210 grain wad cutter bullet which is barely as long as it is wide. They are just heavier than a round ball and pack quite a wallop. I prefer to load the powder, the ball and then fill the front of the chamber with grease, so that the grease spreads down the bore before the ball hits it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That brings back old memories. I bet mine has been sitting in the vault untouched for 25 years. I hunted squirrels with me. And it was very accurate for the first two or three shots, then mine sprayed all over the place unless I swabbed the barrel clean. I never did the grease thing?? I should have tried it though, it sounds like it might work for more accurate shots. I got an extra cylinder with mine when I bought it. but I have never used it. Tom.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was out shooting my flinter to day and the fellow next to me was shooting a 1858 rem: I wanted to shoot the ruger to day but there was no-one with Round balls that will fit my ruger.I did fire the Remington And it all came back to me with a little help from a Buddie who owns the rem:
I fired 25 gr. 3F cream of wheat that was about 1/4" from the top of the cylinder ,then added the ball rammed into the cylinder and added some lube to the top of each cylinder.
25 yards all in the black 2 hand hold trigger was a little on the heavy side and the sight fixed not great for old eye.
I had a old timer who shoots BP pistols and he said by looking at the Ruger I just pick up maybe 6 rounds were fired otherwise a mint gun

·
Registered
432 Posts
awesome. im have been looking to get a revolver. havent found one in my price range.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Keep in mind that unless you use a 45LC conversion cylinder, it isn't legal for big game in PA. (Does not load from the muzzle) They ought to be legal but aren't.

They are fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just pick it up for a fun gun to shoot:Funny you stated not leagal for deer hunting I will bet at top load it will matched the 357 mag pistol.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
so how do you know what year it was made?? I bought mine used in 1979 or 1980, so I know it was made before that.

I called them once about a spare cylinder for mine, but between the cost of shipping mine back for fitting and the cylinder, I could buy an 1851 Uberti Colt.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Thank you.

How frequently do you get to centeral PA, Maybe we could put together a black powder pistol match with some of the other huntingpa folks.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Barnes Cartridges of the world puts the 357 Mag with factory loads between 1235 ft/sec to 1450 and muzzlelenergy from 410 ftlbs to 583

My Lyman Black Powder handbook indicates the ROA with 41 grains of FFFFG (hot one) and a 143 round ball spits at 1021 ft/sec with a muzzle energy of 331 ft lbs. Boosting it up to a load of about 35 grains of trip 7 and a 200 grain bullet would probably match or slightly exceed the 357 stats.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I tried the ruger to day at 20 yards seem to shoot a excellent 2" group 2 hand hold no bench rest.
I went with 25 grains of goex 3F and 25 grain of cream of wheat I then used my 60/40 beeswax @ lard (no salt )
I was very happy for the first time out I went threw about 25 rounds No jams ,cleaning WAS about 45 min:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts