The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have never trapped a day in my life. My 12 yo son has expressed an interest so we will give it a whirl. I borrowed 8 foothold traps and might buy a few DPs. I think I have a good understanding on bait and use for DPs. The questions I have are for canine with the foot holds. I know from trail cams that I have red and grey fox as well as coyote in the area. I plan on using post sets and dirt holes. What urine should I put on the post sets...fox or coyote...or some of each?? Also is natural bait like a feathered pheasant leg or squirrel parts effective if placed in a log etc? Would I put gland lure with the natural bait. Also do I need pan covers or can I put natural switchgrass under pan to prevent dirt from filling that void? Trying not to get in too deep with expense... Thanks for any replies...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Just started myself. Welcome to the fold. I wanted to start cheap myself. After being out a little bit, I think my budget is going to the toilet. I am truly addicted. Wanted to wait until Bobcat Season, that fell through. Thinking about quitting work and cash in my 401K. LOL You will get some great help from this forum. Where you located?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im in erie co but will also trap in venango... Where do I take the critters we catch...not doing the skinning and stretching thing...the few bucks we get will go to my son..

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
From what I heard from 2 buyers I called, prices are really down this year, they are not taking them in the round, even though they said they would earlier last month. But like I said, that was a couple here. Ask on here if anyone knows where fur buyers are in Erie and Venango and make some calls.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Poly fill pillow stuffing for under the pan, any attractor resembling another animal is not allowed to be visible from the air as a law due to aerial predators.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Welcome to the fraternity RuffedG.

As far as your urine post question, red fox would be the your best choice. Red Fox urine will pull in red and grey fox as well as coyote. Coyote urine will sometimes scare of the foxes.

Check your regulations book that you get with the license. I believe you cannot use real feathers whether it can be seen or not.

I've heard poly-fill works great under trap pans but I've had issues with it. I've tried everything but found a pan screen cover works best for me. You may want to try a couple of things this year to find out what you like. This year will be a great experimental year for me because most fur is dang near worthless.

Speaking of fur prices, things are so bad that Greg Kohl is only doing his pick up route for NAFA on March 5, 2016 on a very shortened route. Plus, NAFA is reporting little to no interest for raccoon and wild mink.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would say look at some of the trapping forums online and read thru their archives. There is some good info to be found. Read as much as you can and then just do it. Maybe practice putting a few sets in the yard. Practice helps. Having someone experienced actually show you can save a lot of time and mistakes if you can find some one local to show you some things. Then just have fun and learn

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">...is natural bait like a feathered pheasant leg or squirrel parts effective if placed in a log etc? Would I put gland lure with the natural bait.</span></span>
Both good baits. Make sure bait is deep in dirthole or log as possible. Gland lure is a good addition with bait.
Not all hollow logs are good Canine locations. Hollow log must be on 'location'. A dirthole set or Urine post set can be made on location.

·
Registered
626 Posts
newbie myself but if i would say anything identify runways! if u can find were a fox or yote is running every night toss one or two sets in right there, sooner or later curiosity will get the best of it and itll work the set.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Setting some dog proofs for coon would be good to get you some fun catches and to get your son hooked. Should be able to get some used ones cheap these days

·
Registered
309 Posts
About the pan covers.... What works for one doesn't always work for another. It's all about developing your own unique system. Some people use the polyfil, some use the screen, some crumpled wax paper, single ply toilet paper....when you practice those sets in the yard like someone mentioned just give some of these a try and see what you like.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I caught my one fox on a hollow log. I'd seen fox running the woods while on stand. I found this log after the first light snow and set. It worked. Used a rabbit carcass.

·
Registered
436 Posts
What urine should I put on the post sets...fox or coyote...or some of each??
>as mentioned, fox is better 'multi-purpose'. i use fox normally, but carry a bottle of yote for known yote-heavy areas. standard urine set for me though is fox.

Also is natural bait like a feathered pheasant leg or squirrel parts effective if placed in a log etc?
>can be. thats the thing about trapping- ya just never known. some sets i thought would be hot never snapped a thing, and other sets i've laughed at the silliness of, only to find tight chains on return. try and see. what does and doesnt work for us where we're at might not be the same for you.

Also do I need pan covers or can I put natural switchgrass under pan to prevent dirt from filling that void? Trying not to get in too deep with expense...
>cheapest pan covers there are- roll of metal screen from Lowe's and cut into 5x5 squares. i get several hundred i'm sure for a $9 roll or something. i've tried a bunch of things, and the most efficient FOR ME is also the cheapest. thats sure makes it nice. bend it right around the pan and pull a small opening for the dog. fast. easy. cheap. effective. and speaking of 'dirt' along with cheap easy and effective- peat moss. it costs a bit in equipment to get into the game, but you'd be surprised how cheap you can run a trapline once you have your gear.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies...I put a few posts in the ground on known travel routs...won't be trapping till thanksgiving week though...have a pair of Yotes and some coon on the trail cam from this week...

Question on the screen pan cover...you are bending it over the pan and under the jaws...is that correct?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I just lay mine over the pan after I set the Trap and sift dirt over the trap. What I found is, the wax dirt I use goes right through the pan cover tiny holes. Sifted dirt is no problem. I am going to be using wax paper crumbled up real good and then opened. Don't want it to make noise when the animal steps on it. Could also use paper towels cut to size.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
There has been a lot of great advice given thus far. One of the best pieces I've seen is that different things work for different folks. I never needed pan covers mostly because I put had my pan tension and pan travel adjusted so I didn't need them unless we had prolonged and heavy rains. The big thing is to make sure dirt doesn't pack under the pan to prevent the pan from falling when the animal steps on it. Any of the pan covers mentioned will work well.

I found fox urine and bobcat urine works well for catching nearly all predators. I mostly used step-down dirtholes and had a lot of success but dirtholes can be problematic with rain. One of the lures I like most for fox is Leggett's K-9 exciter. A little goes a long way and my opossum catch went way down after using it. I think its a great idea to diversify your lure and bait use when possible because the critters could become wise to it. I would try a number of bait and lure combinations but if they are not in a good location, even the best lure/bait combination won't be effective.

I've been reading a lot of scientific literature over the past few weeks on coyote marking behavior. It was really interesting to see that most mature coyotes tended to mark more frequently along the edges of their home ranges with lifted leg urination whereas subordinates tended to mark the interior with squats. The other interesting part was only about 6% of active food caches were urinated on by coyotes whereas empty food caches tended to have high rates of marking. This might not be too important for catching young canines but could be something that may tip off older and wiser canines.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts