The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this at the base of an oak tree yesterday and am very curious about it. After looking at pictures and doing a little research on the net, I think it is a hen of the woods. Is there any way to tell for sure before I try eating a chunk of it? I have been wanting to try it, but I want to make sure before I do. I amazed at the different types of mushrooms that everyone seems to be finding now. Is there a simple way of telling if something is edible or not? thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
That is a hens.You can buy a good book (Mushrooms of the Northeastern United States and Eastern Canada) is a good one.You can also look at a facebook site called Pa morel mushroom club,their are some people on their that are very help full and pictures of all kinds of mushrooms.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! Finding this has gotten me interested in trying to do a little more mushroom hunting in my area so I will definitely look for that book. I'm off to saute some of it in butter and see what it tastes like. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! Finding this has gotten me interested in trying to do a little more mushroom hunting in my area so I will definitely look for that book. I'm off to saute some of it in butter and see what it tastes like. Thanks!
That's how it starts. Two years ago I found my first hen. Then I started watching that youtube channel that was linked on here. Then I found my first morel. Now I'm totally addicted to mushroom hunting. I try to learn a new mushroom every time I go out. I use the National Audubon book. My son and I just picked up a small field guide of common mushrooms at the Ranger Station in Marienville Saturday. For $10 its a great book.

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
The library is good for Namcy Drew, the Hardy Boys, War & Peace but for a reference guide that you will want to keep going back to with different specimens I'd invest the twenty or so bucks and always have on hand. I'd probably have a couple come to think of it..

·
Registered
460 Posts
There are many groups and websites also. I'm a member/admin of wildmushroomhunting.org. We have a Facebook page too. A friend who is great at mushroom ID swears by Rogers Mushrooms as a field guide.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Sig, what's the name of your facebook page? I tried to sign up on the other page but for some reason it wouldn't accept it. I'll try again later.

All good, I got signed up for the web site. :thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts