The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon everyone,

Like the title I am new to the website, I have been doing a lot of reading on this site as well as other sights, about hunting in PA. I moved to western PA about 2 years ago from CA. I did a lot of upland bird hunting dove and quail mostly on public land. So I am use to hunting with ppl around, it was very common on opening day for dove to find 40 or 50 trucks in line at the check stations at 3am and you knew there was going to be good possibility that you might not make the cut off to be let in for the morning hunt. So, if hunting in PA on public lands is not that bad then, I should be able to manage.

I am really interested in a wide variety of hunting here in PA small game and large game. I did not grow up in a hunting household but camping and fishing were very big. So, I am doing a lot of research about whitetail hunting, I have found some good resources but their nothing like being able to obtain knowledge from local hunters. I have joined a few conservation hunting organizations sense I have moved here, NFTW and BHA in an effort to meet other hunters. I am discovering some great places to check out with my on-X account and doing a lot of e-research before I get out and start walking some of the SGL. I am planning to pick up rifle in the next few weeks so I can start shooting and getting comfortable with the rifle, most of my shooting experience has been either shotguns or rimfires so I am looking forward to a new challenge.

I have wanted to see more of the state other just the places my job takes me, most of my outdoor experiences have been camping and fishing so far it would be nice to get to know the area better and find some of the off the trail kind of spots and not always end up camping at over packed campgrounds during the summer.

I have two boys 6 and 12, I keep them very interested in camping and fishing just like my dad did, but want to be able to teach them about hunting, eventually once I know enough to be to teach them.
@Thesumofmany

·
Super Moderator
3,861 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I can not believe the amount of information there truly is on the web when you start looking into something you very little knowledge of. Today I learned about saddle stands and was like ---- that looks perfect for public land hunts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts