The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been reading alot on reloading. i want to reload 38spl cartridges with the lee loader. so if i am using hornady xtp 125 grain hollowpoint bullets and using HS6 powder at 6.5gr starting load and an oal of 1.455. i need to seat the bullet little by little until it seated and cartridge and bullet togeather are at 1.455 oal?

·
Registered
850 Posts
thats right.then try them in gunto make sure they fit.if they shoot good lock the die ring and it will seat the same if your brass does not grow

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yup, sounds like your on the right track.
It takes alot of time to set up, its better to seat the bullet to high at first. So all you have to do is turn the die little by little till you get the right adjustment.

After that they should all fall right into place...

Good luck.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so even if the bullets i want to use have a crimp ring on them, when seating the bullet that crimp ring on them may or may not be showing depending on the oal, since bullet may be seated deep or shallow?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Generall speaking if a bullet has a crimp ring and is designed to be used in the cartridge at hand I seat them to that depth. It's there for a reason. Now in a 38 special there isn't much in the way of recoil to worry about, but in larger magnum calibers there is.

I have yet to have any problems with this. As long as they don't stick out the front of the cylinder or are seated too deep as to cuause pressure problems you should be fine. Also, I've found it more important to load every one the same than use the book col.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you check the OAL of the shell, the shell should be trimmed somewhere between the minimum and the maximum over all length.

If you load a dummy load and keep it separate - you can use the dummy load to set your dies.

Then when you get really good, you can adjust the OAL so the end of the neck of the shell matches up with the cannelure of the bullet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts