The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! My names Chris, and I've never been hunting before and I want to get into it. I'm new to the area too, I know that deer season opens the day after Christmas but isn't that for only certain parts of the state and certain kinds of weapons. I never grew up hunting and I'm starting literally from square one. Thanks Everyone! happy and safe hunting, and to all my Brothers, Semper Fidelis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen that site before, and I live near Allentown, so I think I'm in 5-C is the season that opens the day after Christmas only for flintlock rifles? "DEER, Antlerless (WMUs 2B, 5C and 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 26. An antlerless deer with each required antlerless license." So that means if I have my license, I can only get one deer, and I'd need to go get another license? It's not that I can't read, I just REALLY don't want to do anything illegal and want to be 110% sure of the rules. thanks guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not one for hunting, But Ive done almost every gun safety class. Is it easy to get into a hunting education class?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
laneo2007 said:
Is it easy to get into a hunting education class?
Usually not at this time of year.

Are you military ? A Hunter-Trapper education course would be helpful whether you are/were military, and not actually required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am, 2Lt. USMC reserve. I was reading about the prices for the licenses, does a reservist count for the discounted rate on that? Also, where would I even begin to look for one of these classes. Google wasn't very helpful.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
laneo2007 said:
I am, 2Lt. USMC reserve. I was reading about the prices for the licenses, does a reservist count for the discounted rate on that? Also, where would I even begin to look for one of these classes. Google wasn't very helpful.
See below to determine whether you qualify.

Sec. 2706. Resident license and fee exemptions.
(e) Military personnel hunting licenses.--Resident military personnel hunting licenses shall be issued by the commission, county treasurer or issuing agent to persons who satisfy all of the following requirements:
(1) Are residents of this Commonwealth.
(2) Are on active and full-time duty in the United States Armed Forces.
(3) Are assigned to a facility outside this Commonwealth.
(4) Are on temporary leave in this Commonwealth.
Such persons shall comply with the regulations of the commission.

(f) Pennsylvania National Guard Hunting licenses.
(1) Pennsylvania National Guard hunting licenses shall be issued by the commission, county treasurer or issuing agent to any person otherwise eligible for a resident hunting license in this Commonwealth who provides documentation that within the previous 24 months the person was deployed overseas as a member of the Pennsylvania Army National Guard or Air National Guard on active federal service for a period of 180 consecutive days or more or was released early from such service because of an injury or disease incurred in the line of duty. Only one Pennsylvania National Guard hunting license under this subsection may be issued for each qualifying deployment of a person applying for the license.
(2) The commission may promulgate regulations to implement this subsection.
(g) Reserve component of armed forces hunting licenses.
(1) Reserve component of the armed forces hunting licenses shall be issued by the commission, county treasurer or issuing agent to any person otherwise eligible for a resident hunting license in this Commonwealth who provides documentation that within the previous 24 months the person was deployed overseas as a member of the reserve component of the armed forces pursuant to 51 Pa. C.S. §7301 (relating to definitions), for a period of 180 consecutive days or more or was released early from service because of an injury or disease incurred in the line of duty. Only one hunting license under this subsection may be issued for each qualifying deployment of a person applying for the license.

Sec. 2704. Eligibility for license.
(a) General rule.--Persons meeting the requirements of this title who have reached or will reach their 12th birthday in the calendar year of application or who are older, whose hunting and furtaking privileges are valid and who shall meet the application requirements set forth in this title and pay the prescribed license cost and issuance fee shall be eligible to obtain the applicable hunting or furtaking license.

(b) Hunter education.--Persons who have not held a hunting license lawfully issued to them in this Commonwealth or another state or nation or have not hunted under the exceptions in section 2706 (relating to resident license and fee exemptions) or do not possess a certificate of training approved by the director prior to the enactment of this title shall be required to attain accreditation in a hunter education program approved by the director before a hunting license is issued to them. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to a person who presents:
(1) Evidence of service in the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard and discharge or separation under honorable conditions within six months of the date of application.
(2) Evidence that the person is currently serving in the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
In addition to the above, I would also recommend hooking up with a hunting friend or mentor to help show you through the ropes. That would be priceless. Perhaps an HPA member that lives nearby will see this and be interested.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Laneo, I'm relatively close to you, just up routes 33 in the Poconos. I'd be happy to help you out anyway I can. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Semper Fi and thanks for your service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts