The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have never been hunting. Interested for a long time but haven’t had the chance. We have no clue what we are doing. We would like to go with a group or a mentor. Is there such a thing as an adult mentoring program that will take us in? She wants to get into bow hunting with her crossbow and I think I would prefer my rifles and shotgun. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
I agree about hunter ed. It's gone online a lot but, if you can (eventually) attend an in-person training, that will be your best bet to get started.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everyone we will look into the clubs around town. Any suggestions in or close to Berks county? On the education point, are classes or certs required before heading out in the woods? As far as Pennsylvania goes, I haven’t heard of anything required so far

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Since you posted this in the archery hunting section, I'd also recommend that you consider taking a NBEF (National Bowhunter Education Foundation) class. It provides a lot of archery specific safety and ethics information, which would be really helpful to a new hunter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! Wife found a nice archery club and I’m looking into a few different places as well. She’s been shooting the bow in the house for a week now itching to get ready for fall. Lol

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can take the hunter Ed class online since all the classes were canceled because of the virus. Not sure can take the bow hunting class online. Good luck to you and your wife.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Thanks everyone! Wife found a nice archery club and I’m looking into a few different places as well. She’s been shooting the bow in the house for a week now itching to get ready for fall. Lol
Take your hunter education classes as soon as you can so you can purchase your licenses and get your applications in for doe tags. Those go on sale pretty early and will sell out quickly, especially this year. Its early July they go on sale I believe, so get your licenses in June.

You will surely see more doe than bucks up close and have a possible chance to take a shot.

Study deer anatomy, be precise with your shots but you don't have to cut a dime in half either. And realize that if you practice at 30 yards, your effective hunting range is less. A lot is happening and the adrenaline is up so it cuts your range down. The rest, you will figure it out as you go. Enjoy and good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Since you posted this in the archery hunting section, I'd also recommend that you consider taking a NBEF (National Bowhunter Education Foundation) class. It provides a lot of archery specific safety and ethics information, which would be really helpful to a new hunter.
The NBEF Course is not offered in PA. I used to be an instructor and it was fantastic...until the PA Game Commission took it over, then it went to crap. I advise to find an archery only club and start there and start networking.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The NBEF Course is not offered in PA. I used to be an instructor and it was fantastic...until the PA Game Commission took it over, then it went to crap. I advise to find an archery only club and start there and start networking.
I didn't know that. When I joined Whitetail Management Associates, I was required to take it, and felt that it would be great for a novice archery hunter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts