The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm new to hunting and new to these forums. My first experience with hunting was last year when a friend invited me along to go squirrel hunting. I got my license and we spent many hours trying to figure out where to actually hunt, trudging along in the snow and cold. We started very late in the season. He only got 2 squirrels and I just got cold lol.

This year I bought my own .22 and I would like to try hunting again. I want to start with small game and eventually work my way up to turkey and deer when the finances allow me to purchase the proper firearms. I live in East Stroudsburg, and I know the Delaware state park is right up the road. How do I determine areas that are legal to hunt in there? I'm literally starting from scratch with no experience, so any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

April

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Welcome to HPA and the world of hunting! You can go on the pgc website for a map of all the gamelands. There’s also plenty of apps for your phone that will show you public land, ON-X is a popular one. As far as finding squirrels once you find a place to hunt, that’s usually the easy part. If you can find acorns or walnuts, you will find squirrels. Lots of good advice can be found here.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
listen to the advice given here and look for state game lands to hunt on, eventually you might get land of your own or invited to hunt with others. don`t get discouraged while hunting it will come to you

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Don't be afraid to start knocking on doors and ask for permission. There is plenty of state forest ground in this state that is open to the public. Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
listen to the advice given here and look for state game lands to hunt on, eventually you might get land of your own or invited to hunt with others. don`t get discouraged while hunting it will come to you
Luckily Im not discouraged at all. I don't go out expecting anything other than a nice hike and to enjoy nature, at least for now. I know I have a lot of learning to accomplish before I become a successful hunter. However, I am excited about the prospect of providing fresh meat to my family. I guess I'm going to have to buckle down and learn how to understand those State game maps.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
YouTube. It has a plethora of information for you. Some notable hunting shows are, The Hunting Public, Hunting Beast, John Eberhart for deer hunting on public land.

Take a hunter safety course if you have not already.

Read the hunting digest front to back.

Ask a ton of questions on here. There's former game commission officers who regularly post and participate.

Welcome to the sight and the great world of hunting!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Welcome. Read, learn to read maps and most of all enjoy every day afield.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts