The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Good stuff here, and some of my questions here might be redundant based on some of the current threads and for that I apologize. My neighbor and I are going to try a food plot for the fall of this year. Let me start by saying that we have a very limited budget. With that, let me paint a picure for you.

The area is currently pretty much clear with some weeds growing in it. It's about a half acre but surrounded by trees so sunlight is a bit limited. Direct sun is probably 2 hours per day and then hit or miss. It is also off of a creek bed and very moist. I have a Kubota with a loader/blade, but no tiller. I can easily clear the land bare but no real means to cultivate it...yet.

So, this all being said. We are looking for a couple things. 1) We would like something that is favorible for deer and robust for the fall and 2) The geographic area has a healthy turkey population, but we struggle to get them into this 20 acre piece of woods. We would like to try and bring some turkey onto the property.

I don't suspect that there is a single surefire solution. But I would really like to hear some thoughts and ideas from others who have experience with smaller food plots. My understanding is that throw and grow products are very hit or miss. Although I do have friends that have had success with them, I would prefer something a bit more reliable based on what I'm reading.

Thank you for your input and I'll try to answer any questions as best I can.

--SDS

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Clear it, spray it,lime it, fertilize with low nitrogen high p and k, and broadcast some durana clover and oats. Durana is slow to establish but you should have an excellent plot come spring low maintenance year to year. Or....do all the following but broadcast a brassica/turnip blend straight into the dead sod. Food plots are like a box of chocolates.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We didn't. I cleared it with my Kubota, then a local farmer brought his equipment in and disked/harrowed it. We immediately limed it. Then planted a mixture of Turnips, Rye Grass, and I think winter wheat (though I need to check again as I don't remember off the top of my head). We fertilized over it then. It wasn't a terribly weedy area to begin with and our thought is that we'll see how it goes. If weeds become a problem then in the spring we'll talk about a type of week killer. Bottom line is that we basically talked to some of the guys at Agway and a couple local farmers on their thoughts on how to plant it. Worst case is that the farmer told us that he'll use "no till" in the spring if need be, but he dind't think it would be a problem if it grew in thick. I agree with that. Once the turnips get going, I don't think weeds will be an issue. And being that it's already September, many will die off soon as well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a follow up because my last post bothered me all weekend. I was wrong on what we planted. Turnips and Rape. Turnips are already coming up all over the place. Just wanted to follow up so I wasn't giving bad info. I was pleased to see how much green is in the plot already, even with very little moisture. After this weekend, it should be really doing well by this coming weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts