The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of distance are you guys shooting deer at? I've got a T/C hawkens. I know it's not a long distance game, I was just wondering about the difference between a ball and conicle. Thanks.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Muzzleloaders(flintlock) are capable of clean kills to 100yds or a little more . That being said most guys behind them are not.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I can group them touching out to 80 and beyond, but won't shoot at a deer beyond 50. Just have to be smart out there

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
seekeroftyngmat said:
What kind of distance are you guys shooting deer at? I've got a T/C hawkens. I know it's not a long distance game, I was just wondering about the difference between a ball and conicle. Thanks.
Welcome to the sport!!

Key is spending many range sessions learning that smokepole, testing loads & learning your limitations.

You will know what your effective kill range is in due time!
For some its 25 yards, some 50, some 75 & some pushing 100 yards or so pending conditions/skills, type flinter, projectile etc. no easy "cookie cut" answer!

Key is shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot ,shoot ...did i say shoot
before carryin in the woods.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
A conical is heavier than a round ball so its going to have more of an arc when shooting.Some say the conicals carry more down range energy but have found the round ball more than capable of killing deer and shoots flatter.
With open sights most kill ranges are around 50 yds.I personally won't shoot at a deer over that range.Better to not cripple or educate and try another day.
Work on keeping your 1st shot inside a 3 inch circle at 50 yds.Tight groups are inportant but your 1st shot is the one that really counts.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
i would take the conical over the round ball. just because it is heavier and would hit harder. for instance, i would rather be hit by a ping pong ball at 10 feet rather than be hit by a soft ball at the same distance.
in reality it is shot placement that will count and bring down more game.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Like Spirit and Loggy said!

·
Banned
900 Posts
Welocome to the group!! Everyone has thier own limits on range and all seem to be doin the right thing....It's what you are confident at. I like the long shots but I shoot the long ones at the range. The keys seem to be projectile, loads, loading and cleaning consistancy and just plain ole pratice. My longest was 139yds on the range finder. I guessed it at 125yds and was shooting from a dead rest. I would not have taken that shot freehand because I'm not comfortable at that range freehand. Last year I shot a 103yd shot freehand but was kneeling with a really good stance ( elbow on the knee butt on the ground) and solid sight picture. I had shot at the range often from that position and was confident.

I'm not a patch and ball hunter. I know.......I'm a sinner but PB's and 777 work well for me!!

Take what ya find here and make it yer own. See what works for you and keep on askin questions. Good luck!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all of your words of wisdom,and vow to leave a path and go through many rounds at the range. As with archery I will not shoot at an animal until I'm proficient with my arms. Being left eye dominant I must wait for the order to come in.Patience is a virtue and I can hardly wait to get it. Thanks again for the responses, be seeing you... Jack

·
Banned
900 Posts
Left eye dominant?? Oh, sorry. That changes everything. Your first 100 rnds must be shot while wearing period authentic womens undergarments and witnessed by a near sighted goat.

I have no idea why but that's what they told me here when I shared my affliction. I can lend you the goat

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Jester said:
Left eye dominant?? Oh, sorry. That changes everything. Your first 100 rnds must be shot while wearing period authentic womens undergarments and witnessed by a near sighted goat.

I have no idea why but that's what they told me here when I shared my affliction. I can lend you the goat

LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
this is great of you look in the classifieds you might be able to find some of those womens undergarments

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
The difference between the ball and conical is that the conical can be made heavier and as such it will carry ENERGY farther downrange.

From what I read before getting into rock knocking, 400lbs is what you want to hit a deer with. Dont know if it is true, but you have to start somewhere. A .50 will carry that to a bit over 100 yards, (120ish if I remember)with a fairly stout load. A conical or larger round ball will carry 400ft/lbs farther.

Now if you figure out what your bullet drop is with your load using a ballistic table and or shooting at different ranges, you can figure out where you want to hit at a given range to keep the ball in the kill zone. Ex, my long home range is 127 yds over a valley, and the short is a max of 40. I dont have good 50, 75, 100 yard ranges to play at, so I found a table and figured about 4 in below point of aim at 127 is within a kill zone from 0-125 yds.

My personal max is 100 shooting PRB, even though I know that the bullet will not drop out of the zone, AND I know that the bullet has plenty of steam over that range, I like a little wiggle room, and a shot at 100yds or close to that will only be with a rest. I shot the only deer I have ever taken in 4 seasons of flintlocking at about 75-80yds from a rest. I took her in the neck and the bullet passed through right to left.
I shoot a lot of open and peep sights and only got a rifle with a scope on it when I was in my mid 30's. Open sights are not a problem IF you practice with them.

So if you want to take the base numbers and add wiggle room, 100 yards with a 50 caliber is perfectly do-able. Conicals could extend that range but you would have to figure your drops and that would be a pain in the woods.
Our forfathers were shooting a lot farther at things that shot back. However the idea was to put a hole anywhere in the target, due to lack of medical knowledge it was a kill. We are trying to punch a hole into a 6 inch circle to do enough damage to take a animal quickly.

·
Registered
731 Posts
seekeroftyngmat said:
Oh, and where might one procure these undergarments?
Ash Loggy! I mean...well...ummm..hey, he gets shirts in bulk at the dollar store for shirttsil cuttin' ceremonies...lol!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts