The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a bought a 50 cal. lyman great plains kit 3 years ago. i am now staining the stock and browning the barrel and parts. i am wondering what type of powder,bullets and flint to use. i have 2 weeks to get this flint loader done. i am excited to give this a try. thanks

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
mossycamo said:
i had a bought a 50 cal. lyman great plains kit 3 years ago. i am now staining the stock and browning the barrel and parts. i am wondering what type of powder,bullets and flint to use. i have 2 weeks to get this flint loader done. i am excited to give this a try. thanks
Being "new to flintlock" with gun not done plus never shot...I suggest you wait till next season if your talking about hunting deer in our Late Season just 2 weeks away.. It takes most several mths of multiple range visits to reach a responsible level to carry a flintlock in the field.

When your ready...most loads are within 70-90 grains 2fg w/.490 roundball and .015 patch is a good medium to start. Each gun is different.

As I said..it aint one or 2 times to the range type of thing..practice shooting over several mths learning this wonderful sport.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your advice. but i am still going to give it a shot. i won't be shooting long distance. i will be sighting in about 50 yds. if i feel that i can't get a good load figured out i will wait. but as of right now i will be out there. thanks again.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Put some time in the range. You should be fine.
If you can find someone local to join you at the range that will help.

I remember picking up a TC Hawken. It was dead on at 50yds right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
mossycamo said:
My GPR likes a .490 ball, a .018 patch, and 80 grains of 2f.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
May I suggest you start your sighting in a 10 yards first. Then 15, 20, and 25. I started with the Lyman Great Plains In a 54 cal and she likes 70-80 gr of 3F and a 530 ball with a .015 patch. That said yours will like a 490 ball and a 015 patch for hunting with 70-80 gr of 3F GOEX. I would not suggest a shot at 50 yards with that new gun till you put at least 50 balls through her consistantly at 50 yards in say a pie plate....JMHO A flintlock is not like a modern day gun----I dont know what you expertise is with a flintlock---Im assuming this is your first and the suggestions thus represent that. To hunt with a primitive weapon is addictive and once you switch you will be hooked like the rest of us. Do yourself a favor and if you are new to the sport keep your shots well under 50 yards to start this season. When you get very comfy with the gun then reach out a bit more. My hunting shots as well as many here will not go beyond 50 yards--not because we cant but we hunt with the animal in mind.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would start at 70gr FF in the tube with a mixi hunter or maxi ball and ffff in the pan (Goex powder). Bring your cleaning suppies to the range and keep the bbl clean and cool between shots, and just have FUN!!!

One thing I did learn early on, after 3-4 times to the range I was shooting fine out to 50 yards. But my first shot at a deer was at dusk. There is a big difference between havig that pan ignite several inches from your face during the daylight and dusk. Boy did I flinch from that flash!!! If you have a chance, shoot around dusk at least once.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Bunky said:
May I suggest you start your sighting in a 10 yards first. Then 15, 20, and 25. I started with the Lyman Great Plains In a 54 cal and she likes 70-80 gr of 3F and a 530 ball with a .015 patch. That said yours will like a 490 ball and a 015 patch for hunting with 70-80 gr of 3F GOEX. I would not suggest a shot at 50 yards with that new gun till you put at least 50 balls through her consistantly at 50 yards in say a pie plate....JMHO A flintlock is not like a modern day gun----I dont know what you expertise is with a flintlock---Im assuming this is your first and the suggestions thus represent that. To hunt with a primitive weapon is addictive and once you switch you will be hooked like the rest of us. Do yourself a favor and if you are new to the sport keep your shots well under 50 yards to start this season. When you get very comfy with the gun then reach out a bit more. My hunting shots as well as many here will not go beyond 50 yards--not because we cant but we hunt with the animal in mind.
Solid advice...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I like to look at my flintlock the same as my archery equipment.I like to keep all shots close,therefore I use my archery stands in muzzleloader season also.I have hunted with a flinter since early 90's and it is the season I most look forward to each year.Two weeks is not realistically enough time to become proficient with a primitive weapon,HOWEVER if you wish to hunt this seaon,pleaes consider using my ARCHERY = FLINTER equation.This may ADD up to the start of something great...Good luck and keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Until you have the gun sighted in, stay out of the woods. it would only take a trip or two to the range. You could be ready by 12-26, with some cramming. Flinters present a learning curve that departs from the usual firearm savvy. Oh, the aim, breathing and squeezing the trigger are the same. that interplay between flint, frizzen, pan and touch hole is the fickle devil where specialized knowledge and detail is required. It isn't much to learn and at the same time, it is lot to learn. Consistency is primary. clean all the oil and grease from the gun, especially in and around the breech and touch hole. Measure the powder the same, rap the gun on the side to settle the powder the same, turn the weave of the patch the same direction, start the ball the same, seat the ball with the same pressure. EVERY TIME. Follow trough the same despite the pan flash, Muzzleloader target shooters joke about farting the same between shots. minor differences at the loading station can make a big difference down range. You should be able to shoot a 4 inch group at 50 yds, within a dozen shots after sighting the gun in. If you limit your range in the woods you should be fine. Ideally, you would be able to keep the group on a paper plate, offhand, at 100 yds. Your gun may well be able to hit a 3 inch group at 100 yds. It will take a while for you to be that accurate with it. Perhaps 100's of shots. I once shot a deer at 20 yds. A first year kid with a bore sighted rifle and no experience could have taken that deer. It is kind of like the lottery. If you don't play, you can't win. We all have to start somewhere. You are a bit late in the game for the late season, but with soe range time and practice, you should be capable of hunting accuracy by 12-26. If you can get a greybeard to go to the range with you and show you the key routine, it will save you some learning time. In three minutes, they can set you on the right course faster than reading a 40 page book.

The NMLRA has a downloadable poster about how to load a muzzleloader. It is a bit difficult to find on their web site. I'll check for the url.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Great advice so far! As has been said this is a firearm you cannot rush into. You need time at the range to learn it's personality so to speak. If the proper time is not taken to learn the rifle you will only be hurting yourself in the long run, and taking away the enjoyment of flintlock hunting, and shooting.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Learnin flintlocks is like peeling back the layers of an onion. each experience with them reveals another layer of knowledge and understanding. But be careful, after a while it can grow into an obsession and even to a near religious fervor. Suddenly, you find yourself deeply engrossed in such things as a Dixie Gun Works catelogue, going to rendevous and trying to figure out how to sneak that new muzzleloader in so the Mrs. don't notice. You will make pilgrimages to the visit the Almightly Dixon, Grand East Coast Wizard of Black Powder and all allied mystical accessories. You will start being seen in public wearing a leather shoulder purse called a possible bag. children and wives will snicker at your funny clothes. You will yearn to spend weekends trapesing the woods, camping under the stars and living off roast squirrel shot with your trusty long rifle. It is a slippery precipice you have chosen to peer beyond. The bretheren here will cushion your fall with understanding, like affliction and support.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Well said Zimmer!!

The smoke onion i keep peeling layers off seems to getter bigger vs smaller though!! Could be the adverse effect of years of smokin has on my eyes!! LOL!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Exactly...!! So many guys just grab a flintlock and take off into the woods like it's their .270 and expect to crack a deer. I tell guys it's like shooting a bow.... lots of practice, learning, discipline and dedication... But once ya get it down... dang what fun !!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Zimm well put my neighbor and friend! Im looking forward to this season in my neck of the woods---Im thinking of doing an overnighter by myself under the stars---Even if I cant make it to the mountains I can creep into my own woods where they are deep enough to fell away from it all!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts